Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

American undergraduate/masters, Mcgill for PhD?

zo1987zo1987 Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
edited April 2011 in McGill University
I was wondering if it would be a good idea for me as an American to get my final degree from Mcgill? I am asking this with the intent of coming back to work in the United States after I am finished. Mcgill seems like a very good school and its cheap. I would also like to study abroad but as an American will a final degree from a Canadian University hinder my chances in the job market when I return back to the states?
Post edited by zo1987 on

Replies to: American undergraduate/masters, Mcgill for PhD?

• onecroreofcrowsonecroreofcrows Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    No it will not. McGill is known as a top school and a PhD degree from McGill will be looked at very favorably. It doesn't matter what country you get your degree from as long as the school is very prestigious. McGill, especially their grad school, fits this description. You'll be set.
  • zo1987zo1987 Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    Thanks for the reply!
  • BlobofBlobof Registered User Posts: 1,183 Senior Member
    For PhD however, it's a lot more subfield dependent. Once you're closer to finishing your undergrad, you'll have a better idea what kind of university has an appropriate department/supervisor for the subject you're going into, and McGill may not be it. There are programs I'd recommend for undergrad at McGill that I wouldn't recommend for PhD.
This discussion has been closed.