right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Want to know how a college REALLY decides who gets in? Jeff Selingo author of "Who Gets In and Why: A Year Inside College Admissions" spills the tea in our forums and will be answering your questions. Get yours answered now!
Get all the info you need to know to complete the FAFSA during our LIVE webinar Thursday, Sept 24, at 7pm ET. Hear from financial aid experts on deadlines, what documents you will need, and how your info will be used to calculate aid. REGISTER NOW and share your questions.
PARENTS4PARENTS: AfroPuffMom is the mother of two boys, a college junior and a high school junior. She has extensive experience reviewing applications for high-achieving, first-generation students. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our September Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

International freshmen or transfer students enrolled for the fall semester

River65River65 47 replies3 threads Junior Member
edited August 4 in McGill University
How have you found the logistics of getting ready for McGill entirely remotely and outside of Canada? Are you optimistic that the Spring semester will be in person and that visas etc will be available? My son (in the USA) was just admitted as a sophomore transfer to the College of the Arts. McGill was his dream school but he is now nervous to enroll, especially if the whole year could be remote.
edited August 4
2 replies
Post edited by CCEdit_Suraj on
Tagged:
· Reply · Share

Replies to: International freshmen or transfer students enrolled for the fall semester

• SwimmingDadSwimmingDad 942 replies11 threads Member
    My son is a U3 (4th year) studying Economics (Poli Sci minor) in the Faculty of the Arts. We are also US (Boston area).

It's hard to say what any university is going to look like second semester. It's tough - everything is changing so fast.

Virtually 100% of McGill students live off campus after first year. They are mostly concentrated in the Ghetto and the Plateau. According to my son (and what I see on the McGill Parents pages) a majority of students will come back to Montreal. So there will be a lot of kids in Montreal. At the same time, there are kids who are not coming back so there are a lot of people looking to sublet their apartments.

My son is a "Frosh Leader" (orientation) and is on the Board for the Economic Students Association. I can say that the upper classmen are trying to do everything they can (given safety guidelines) to ensure there is student life.

Feel free to message me if you want more information. I know it is a crazy year and there is no "right" answer to anything. Happy to help if I can.
    · Reply · Share
  • Lamarche37Lamarche37 1 replies0 threads New Member
    Hello, my son is a first year Arts student based from the UK... Like your son, he still doesn't have his visa and the borders remain closed... with no idea of when they will reopen. The Canadian government are not helpful at all. Why not impose a Covid test and quarantine to make sure the student is not carrying the virus? My son is thinking of withdrawing his application as the situation is too stressful and he can't imagine studying remotely beyond Christmas... I don't feel there's a lot of support from McGill from people like us.... I feel your son's pain.
    · Reply · Share