Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Diversity???

2»

Replies to: Diversity???

• pimpcess05pimpcess05 Registered User Posts: 219 Junior Member
    my best friend was born and raised in ivory coast, so she's african as far as she's concerned. but her parents are from illinois and colorado (both white) so she's american. has she had any luck introducing herself as "african-american?"
    nope
  • ICrisisICrisis Registered User Posts: 458 Junior Member
    Alright, lesson number 1 about racial politics in Canada.

The term African-American (or African-Canadian as I guess the equivalent) is generally not used unless you're referring to someone who has actually come over from Africa which can apply to people of various skin colours.

The majority of the black population in Canada have arrived (1) Within the past 25 years and (2) from the Caribbean.

Lesson 2:

It's okay to call someone "black".
    huh. i've never heard anyone say "african-canadian"
    especially not when referring to someone "who has actually come over from africa"
    i hear a lot more of- "i'm canadian". or "i'm senegalese... nigerian... kenyan etc."

but i acquiesce 100% with using "black"
    oh and i've been looking for this paper for ages, and i can't find it online, but i saw it at mcgill- at the orientation centre in the brown building, in one of the displays, so check it out. it's jus mini flags of countries with the numbers of students from there
    in the meantime, here's an ugly substitute!
    http://www.mcgill.ca/files/arr/Fall_2006_szrfrgs8_FT.pdf
  • 1mike121mike12 Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
    All this politically correct crap that they try to teach us at school is getting to my head! AH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're right gub! I doubt she was American. It just comes out that way now without me thinking about it. Damn you politically correct phrases!
  • 1mike121mike12 Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
    I once had an ugly substitute teacher. she was really ugly.
2»
This discussion has been closed.