Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

clarification:

aryamehraryamehr Registered User Posts: 90 Junior Member
edited September 2007 in McGill University
for mcgill, if you send in your ACT score, you dont have to send in SAT II's...am i correct?

also, do any of you fine people know if there is any legacy program at mcgill? both my aunt and my uncle got their Ph.D.'s from mcgill, so it's a question worth asking.
Post edited by aryamehr on

Replies to: clarification:

• swampfoxswampfox Registered User Posts: 61 Junior Member
    If you submit your ACT score, the SAT1 isn't required. I don't know about the SAT IIs.

Re legacy, I know a student whose parents are both active McGill alumni, and yet he wasn't admitted to McGill this year. He did get into U of Toronto.
  • BlobofBlobof Registered User Posts: 1,183 Senior Member
    AFAIK there is no legacy program at McGill, unless you come from a family of influential Liberal party contributors...
  • BIGTWIXBIGTWIX Registered User Posts: 2,440 Senior Member
    Correct about McGill with tests.
    If you submit ACT, you do NOT have to submit SATIIs or SATIs.
  • aryamehraryamehr Registered User Posts: 90 Junior Member
    yeah, thanks guys. i am a canadian citizen (born in b.c.) living in america. i was wondering if anyone knew anything about their policies with students like me. i read somwhere that if you are a canadian citizen they consider you as if you were applying to mcgill from another province other than quebec. does being a canadian citizen up my chances of being accepted?

also, i was wondering if a 31 composite on the act is a strong score for admissions at mcgill.
  • dockerdocker Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    My understanding is that you go in the US pool (i.e. international) if you lived and went to school in the US even though you are a Canadian citizen. You will however qualify for Canadian tuition fees should you be accepted. This info was based on my daughter's experience this year in getting into McGill. I understand also that it is easier to get into McGill as a non-Quebec Canadian than an international applicant although I have no direct info on this.
  • wutangfinancialwutangfinancial Registered User Posts: 808 Member
    Aunt and Uncle? Please.

But you'll probably get in...
  • mcgilldadmcgilldad Registered User Posts: 310 Member
    docker is correct in his/her information. You will be in the US pool because all your high schools grades and classes are from the US. But, as stated, you will get Canadian tuition. A 31 will be an excellent score for all but a few of the faculties.

McGill has no legacy program, except possibly if your last name is Shatner.
    lmao. thanks mcgilldad. i want to become a doctor when i grow up. i have very strong grades in science classes (as well as in other classes, of course). is a 31 on the act strong for the mcgill "pre-med" program?
    you'll be fine, but be prepared to work very hard...
  • mcgilldadmcgilldad Registered User Posts: 310 Member
    wutang is correct, a 31 should be fine. Just be sure to take the most difficult classes your high school offers in the sciences field. McGill knows that class offerings, particularly in AP classes, varies between public high schools and between public and private high schools. They want to see that you challenged yourself as much as possible and (of course) you did well in those classes.
    thanks. i love the people on the mcgill board. very helpful. :)
    ok. another question. does mcgill take a look at your senior year (specifically, either first semester, or both semesters), and does it include those results in its admissions process? i want to have my senior year grades included in the admissions process, so when would be a good time to send my app to the university?
  • BOYSOFWINTERBOYSOFWINTER Registered User Posts: 124 Junior Member
    Aryamehr, apply after first term's grades are out. I believe admissions weights these grades heavily, e.g., your science/math grades if you are applying to the Faculty of Science. You will not be admitted until they have received your midyear (second term) grades and factored them in, unless you are scholarship material and a shoo-in. Another plus, freshman year grades are not looked at.
    do they take ap scores into account? i got a 5 in ap stats, but unfortunately (because of my psycho teacher), i got B's in the class. really strange i know, but regardless, i kicked that test's ass. does that negate those grades for the mcgill admissions officers (or at least lessen the blow)?

*btw, thanks a lot guys. this is actually turning into a helpful discussion for everyone wanting to apply to mcgill* :)
    ^yeah..a b won't kill you. They like AP credits...and if you got a 5, well, you did well.

How are your other grades? Arts you need a 3.5 uw or so, but science you need more like a 3.7-3.8, having taken AP science/math classes.
This discussion has been closed.