Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Having a Car on Campus

ZFanaticZFanatic Registered User Posts: 1,591 Senior Member
edited July 2008 in McGill University
What are you guy's thought's on having your own car on campus? I mean, I know there's excellent public transport, but I'm a die-hard car guy, and I don't know what to do with myself without an engine at my disposal. I'm thinking more along the lines of a motorcycle, and how it could be a lot more useful than a car (easier to park and whatnot), but my question is, where would you put your car/motorcycle, and then if I did, what do I need to go about doing as far as dealing with the SAAQ. Do I need to exchange my US license for a Quebec one, and what do I have to do as far as insurance. I'm assuming my US insurance will only cover me as long as I'm under a US license correct, and therefore I'd need Canadian insurance.
Post edited by ZFanatic on

Replies to: Having a Car on Campus

  • BlobofBlobof Registered User Posts: 1,183 Senior Member
    Well, let me put it this way: your motorcycle won't be useable for a good part if not most of the school year. Also, parking is practically impossible on or around campus (no matter if it's car or a motorcycle). If you want a car, you'll need winter tires (not just "all seasons", and yes, by law) as well (that means you need room to store your other tires). So it's not just that there's excellent public transport, it's because a car is completely impractical, unless you live off campus and have your own parking spot, and even then, it's not good for commuting to school.

    You might want to search previous threads, because I know this has come up before and last time I did bother to check about the license/insurance issue. I think you don't have to get a Quebec license/plates/insurance if your insurance will cover you in Quebec (and you still have a permanent address in your current license's state), but don't take my word for it. You should check the SAAQ website (if you're still convinced you need a car, somehow).
  • ZFanaticZFanatic Registered User Posts: 1,591 Senior Member
    Thanks. I just wasn't really sure whether one would be practical or not. I'm from Texas and everything is spread out so a car is a necessity down here. I guess I'll be leaving it home then. haha
  • drmambodrmambo Registered User Posts: 459 Member
    I've actually called the SAAQ about the license issue, and I was told directly that as a student, you're an exception to the rule and do NOT need to trade your license in. There's no need to swap license plates either or anything like that (not that you'd want to anyway...for parking ticket purposes...).

    I back blobof entirely here. As someone who scored a car in january, and was always scrambling to find parking for it (you can't park in rez without a permit...something I was too cheap to buy), a car is just an unneeded physical and financial burden. You don't need to drive to parties (not that you should any way), and you definitely don't need to leave the island for any reason. If something isn't in a 15-20 minute walking range, than it's accessible by a metro or bus.

    The only pro of having a car, is the ability to spontaneously road-trip, or to cut costs on spring-break transportation (e.g. you can drive to boston with you and a couple friends cheaper for cheaper than a bus or plane ride if you split the gas).

    That pro still comes with the con* of having to find parking wherever you trip to, so...
This discussion has been closed.