Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is it true US GPAs tend to be thrown out?

Nightmarerec0nNightmarerec0n Registered User Posts: 456 Member
edited July 2008 in McGill University
I have terrible GPA thanks to Freshmen Year, but I heard Canadian Universities basically throw out US GPAs and rely on SAT,SAT II and AP scores. I have strong SAT score and AP scores with my SATs being 700,720,690. My AP score are a 5 on U.S History,U.S. Politics so far. But i am set up for hopefully a 5 in Calc,Chem and Physics. I also have some strong ECs.

I mean I really liked Montreal(other then all the cows on the way :)), when I visited and it is one 6 hour away from where I live now. I also know McGill is highly rated.
I know cost of attendance is higher for a International, But $15k is STILL much cheaper then most U.S. Universities.
Post edited by Nightmarerec0n on

Replies to: Is it true US GPAs tend to be thrown out?

• rdh1991rdh1991 Registered User Posts: 602 Member
    not to my knowledge, but i could be wrong
  • drmambodrmambo Registered User Posts: 459 Member
    They throw your grade 9 grades out, but still heavily consider your grade 10, 11, and 12 marks. Heavier emphasis is placed on your grade 11, and first semester of grade 12 marks, though.

I don't know how AP scores weigh in on admission, aside from how in the end you'll be considered (either as an entering U0, or U1 student).

p.s. I don't know which route you've taken, but I didn't see many cows on my car trips in or out of MTL (if any cows at all).
  • juliusharkjuliushark Registered User Posts: 777 Member
    yeah for Canadian school, grade 11 and first semester 12 are what really matter (but if you do horribly 2nd semester 12 they'll take back their offer).
This discussion has been closed.