Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

UofT, McGill, UBC, Waterloo or UCLA?

fiddler crabfiddler crab Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
edited May 2009 in McGill University
I'm an international and got admitted to the Electrical Engineering programs at the four universities. Any suggestions about which I should choose? I wanna go to graduate school so I need letters of recs and research opportunities. Money is not an issue.
Post edited by fiddler crab on

Replies to: UofT, McGill, UBC, Waterloo or UCLA?

• wutangfinancialwutangfinancial Registered User Posts: 808 Member
    Waterloo or UCLA
  • naffnaff Registered User Posts: 280 Junior Member
    UCLA is not good enough to justify the premium you pay over Canadian shools.

I say McGill or Waterloo.
  • fiddler crabfiddler crab Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
    Thanks for the responses. How would you rank the five universities mentioned above, in terms of strength in EE?
  • juliusharkjuliushark Registered User Posts: 777 Member
    if you want to go to engineering, go to waterloo. However, waterloo is the MIT of canada, so be warned that is pretty much all guy nerds (im assuming you are a guy). So, if you want to have fun in University, go to McGill or UofT. OofT is huge so I don't know how you feel about that. I wouldn't go to UBC.

UCLA is of equal caliber but costs more
    Which university can give me better chance for top EE graduate schools in America?
  • juliusharkjuliushark Registered User Posts: 777 Member
    probably UCLA since it IS an american school
    I've got three more questions:

1)Which university can offer more theoretical education that will prepare students better for grad schools?

2)How much does undergraduate coop experience help when you apply to grad schools?

3)I heard that Waterloo's EE curriculum is relatively practical, which is just suitable for those who want to find jobs as soon as they graduate. Is that true?
  • ivyleaguerivyleaguer Registered User Posts: 475 Member
    Waterloo or Toronto. I would lean toward Toronto, as it's program is highly selective and is top notch. Sorry, McGill is not in the mix on this one.
This discussion has been closed.