Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Greenbriar or off-campus?

qaseemabqaseemab Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
edited April 2009 in McGill University
Okay, so I am kind of confused about which one to choose. My major concern about accomodation is money because I can only set aside a maximum of $6000 for housing(but I'd rather keep it near $5000).

I am an international student so the 11 month lease for a greenbriar double apartment as opposed to 8 months for others would be great since I am not sure if i'll return the first year back home and I can always sub-let my place if I do.

The greenbriar double apartments come in three sizes, the smallest one is the chepest with an annual fee of $5,819.

1)On the minerva page, i cant specifically ask for the cheapest one so is it possible for me to change rooms afterwards if dont get the right one?

2)And more importantly how small is the Greenbriar "Small double apartment" really is. I have heard that Greenbriar's are usually larger so I am hoping its good enough.

3)And how do sleeping arrangements usually work for the double apartments. There is only one bed and one mattress so how do two people sleep?

4)If I sumbit my deposit earlier than most(as in now), would that increase my chances of getting my preffered rez?

If anyone has further insight on Greenbriars than any help would be awesome.

Off-campus is also a choice but only if the money is substantially less. I have looked on the apartment listings on McGill's own website but nothing in McGill Ghetto is cheaper than $450 a month. The fact that I cannot come a month before school actually starts to hunt for off-campus housing is also a con for off-campus housing.

I know its a lengthy post but i really need to know this stuff.

Edit: Also Does anyone know when you can move into your dorms and if McGill provides any temporary accomodation for internationals if they arrive a bit earlier.
Post edited by qaseemab on

Replies to: Greenbriar or off-campus?

• esgeeesgee Registered User Posts: 488 Member
    I don't know the answers to all your questions, but I'll answer what I can. :)

1) I think it's possible to change rooms afterward but it's probably a little more complicated and they can't guarantee that you can change rooms.
    2) No idea, sorry!
    3) Hmm...not sure but I can't imagine that there's only one mattress, are you sure you weren't looking at description for a single room?
    4) Housing works on a lottery system so pay your housing deposit, rank your choices, fill out the questionnaire by June 15th and you'll get assigned a number soon after. The smaller your number, the better your chance at getting your first choice. SO, as long as you pay by 6/15, it doesn't impact whether you get your first-choice or not.

Move-in day starts August 22nd, I think. All the info should be in your Welcome to McGill guide.
  • basketballbabe13basketballbabe13 Registered User Posts: 1,058 Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure they mean one bed per person. For example, for New rez, it says something like, one double bed, one dresser etc... but they mean per person.

Um for the first question... well you can't but once you fill out the questionnaire (right after you click continue or w/e), after all the music and smoking and sleeping habit questions, it says, is there anything you would like us to know... you could include it there!
This discussion has been closed.