Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Hi there! You may have noticed things have changed on this site. You can learn more about that here.

General Advice on Interviews.

PSedrishMDPSedrishMD Registered User Posts: 712 Member
edited October 2010 in Med School Interviews
About the interview: it may be very hard for "pre-med types" to face a challenge like the interview without a script to study, but alas, there is no script. The purpose of the interview is not to test your knowledge, but rather to assess intangibles such as character and dedication. Most interviewers will keep the tone very friendly and low key, asking open ended questions that will allow you to expound about yourself at will. These folks are bright people and they have seen lots of applicants, so you're not going to fool them. Be well dressed and groomed, relaxed, polite, relatively humble and very honest. Make good eye contact. Stay on point when you're asked a question and try not to ramble. Don't challenge your interviewer with a question for each question they ask you; this sometimes occurs when applicants have been told by someone outside the process that they are there as much to interview the school as to have the school interview them.... that just isn't so.
You will of course be given an opportunity to ask any questions you might have before the interview ends. In general, a comment such as "I don't have any questions at this time but from what I've seen, heard and read, I would really like to come here for Medical School" is worth more than most any question you might ask. Good luck!
Post edited by PSedrishMD on

Replies to: General Advice on Interviews.

This discussion has been closed.