right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have changed the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

Anyone interested in Honors Program for 2010?

wildwood330wildwood330 204 replies16 threads Junior Member
edited February 2010 in Miami University - Ohio
D was recently accepted into the Honors Program at MU. Are there any others out there thinking of MU? Have you decided yet or still looking? What major are you considering? Where are you from?
edited February 2010
23 replies
Post edited by wildwood330 on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Anyone interested in Honors Program for 2010?

• OHKIDOHKID 1176 replies79 threads Senior Member
    Yeah, I did.

As much as I have bashed MU here, this program does sound absolutely stellar and perfectly alligned with my interests. I would almost certainly go to Miami if I got in (especially considering that I took 100+ hours to write and perfect all of those essays......).

I applied Dec. 1st, so I guess my decision should be coming back Feb. 22nd.

To the OP:

Did your daughter apply in time for Harrison Scholarship?

What were her stats/extracurrics/essay quality?

And, by the way, Congratulations!!!! I hope to see her there!
    · Reply · Share
  • collegeorbust10collegeorbust10 161 replies15 threads Junior Member
    My d also applied for the Honors Program after working hours on the essays. Hope to hear back in February as we did not apply until Dec 1 deadline. We are getting excited as this is D's first choice school.
    · Reply · Share
  • wildwood330wildwood330 204 replies16 threads Junior Member
    I currently have an older daughter in the honors program at MU. She loves it there on many levels. It's a good mix of academics and social. She stayed in the honors dorm the first year and the kids she met there are all still her closest friends even though they are all in different majors.

My current HS senior is still undecided. She did apply for the Harrison, but did not get it. That was disappointing as they had increased the number they were awarding (but decreased the $$ amount awarded) so we were somewhat hopeful, but not a surprised. My older daughter describes the Harrison recipients as "brilliant". My HS senior is a different personality from her sister in many ways, yet the same in others. A small LAC may be the best for her--or they could be too small. We're not sure yet. She needs to do some overnights and ask a lot of questions, but unfortunately, hasn't had the time yet. This semester will allow more time for her search. in many ways I would like for her to go to a different school than her sister--let her forge her own path, but there are many things MU has to offer that I know #2 would enjoy.
    · Reply · Share
  • StitchInTimeStitchInTime 1183 replies106 threads Senior Member
    This National Survey of Student Engagement report makes several references to Miami's Honors program. For example:
    ...It is worth noting that only 5% of first-year classes have more than 100 students, not unreasonable for this University where the entering class totals around 3,400 each year. The University Honors and Scholars program, the Oxford Scholars program, and other special programs provide students additional benefits of small seminar classes and close interaction with faculty. More than 90 seminars are offered through the Honors and Scholars Program each year. We were told that efforts are currently underway to offer more seminars to first-year students...

...Most Miami students are academically motivated and are considered “eager learners,” but students involved in varied honors and scholars programs stand out for their high standards of academic achievement. Academically superior students are afforded unique and exciting challenges and opportunities at Miami. Miami has several well-developed programs to engage academically talented students. Honors and Scholars Programs, including the Harrison Scholars Program, University Honors Program, the Oxford Scholars Program, and some divisional and departmental honors programs, accept a select number of academically talented students. Each program offers slightly different enrichment opportunities to develop students' intellectual and creative abilities. The University Honors Program offers students the opportunity to enroll in small honors seminars and to participate in a community of scholars. Students involved in the program benefit from faculty mentoring, professional advising, support for undergraduate research, summer study and international travel, optional residential living in one of two Honors residence halls, and lively co-curricular programming. The Honors Program enjoys the commitment of Miami’s best faculty; each year, over 300 faculty members are involved in advising, mentoring and teaching Honors students. Students in the Harrison Scholars Program work closely with distinguished faculty in research and scholarship opportunities. Oxford Scholars participate in a richly programmed living learning residence hall. Although all honors and scholars programs offer students academically challenging opportunities, the Harrison Scholars program is renowned for its high expectations. Harrison Scholars are specially charged with enhancing the intellectual climate of the University and society at large, and are expected to contribute to the community of scholars and to vigorously pursue academic excellence...
    · Reply · Share
  • aussiek517aussiek517 321 replies4 threads Member
    I've really enjoyed my experience in Honors-- feel free to ask about the program or PM me.
    · Reply · Share
    StitchInTime I sent you a PM.
    · Reply · Share
  • amsbluedevil24amsbluedevil24 57 replies6 threads Junior Member
    The Honors program is my least favorite thing about Miami.
    · Reply · Share
    What don't you like about it? Are you a freshman experiencing the new honors program or were you admitted to prior to the changes this year? What do you think needs to be done to make it better?
    · Reply · Share
  • amsbluedevil24amsbluedevil24 57 replies6 threads Junior Member
    Ask an "alhena" I just wrote her/him a huge post about it.
    · Reply · Share
  • MiamiDAPMiamiDAP 16183 replies1 threads Senior Member
    D. (Junior) is in Honors and loves it. Just received a Grant from her Honors program for her project at the Medical Research lab. at MU (intern). Overall she received lots of Merit scholarships (some associated with being in Honors) that cover her full tuition. She did not get Harrison though.
    · Reply · Share
  • airandersonairanderson 17 replies15 threads Junior Member
    I was accepted on christmas eve and have yet to make up my mind as of yet because I am waiting for my decision from Duke. Even with an acceptance to duke which is my first choice however, i know that the stellar reputation and opportunities of the honors program will provide me with a pretty hard decision, but i am psyched that i can fall back on this. good luck on your decision!
    · Reply · Share
  • debrockmandebrockman 1026 replies10 threads Senior Member
    I posted this elsewhere without any response, so I'll try here. My son is applying to Miami next year with a 3.8ish gpa....hasn't taken SAT yet but is a strong test taker - 204PSAT. Good high school. Tough classes - BC calc, apchem, apush, aplit academy of finance. Mission work, athletics....all round nice kid. Would he have a shot at direct admit to the farmer school? Any hope for honors? Out of state student.
    · Reply · Share
    Two years ago, if a student was part of the Honors Program, they were given early admission to the Farmer School of Business. Not sure if it is still the same, but probably is. Miami U takes the SAT and ACT. Your son may want to take the ACT test too and they will use the highest score for placement.
    · Reply · Share
  • collegemom112985collegemom112985 2 replies0 threads New Member
    I think he should be fine...my daughter was accaepted to honors, 3.8 average 4.5 weighted average. AP Calc, AP english (2) AP US History, AP Spanish , AP Psych, AP Physiscs, all others classes were Honors 3 yrs latin. TONS of activities, leadership and awards..apply early- we heard during the Christmas Holidays.
    · Reply · Share
  • MashedtadersMashedtaders 1 replies0 threads New Member
    You should be aware that the Honors Program changed just this year. Instead of choosing classes from a list to take for your Honors Requirement, the new Honors students have to develop a portfolio over the entirety of their time here at Miami. This frees you from having to follow the Miami plan, but is developed to provide you with a liberal education. Essentially, the requirements as far as I can tell are not very clear, but what is clear is that you have to graduate with a 3.5 GPA to get University Honors and at no point can you have a GPA lower than 3.3 is any given semester. You can't really slack off. When it comes to this "portfolio" it is really hard to tell what exactly needs to be done. There are really no time requirements for completing the "tiers" of a liberal education, but I have a feeling they will clarify that in the future.

If you have any questions about the Honors Program I am a part of the changed program, so be free to message me with any question you have.

-Debrockman: If your son is accepted into the Honors Program he is automatically accepted into the FSB. If he wants to get into FSB Honors (A completely different program from general Honors), He would have had to apply early. I got placed on a waiting list for FSB Honors likely due to sending in a late application. If he applied early though, he will likely get in. Also, your son's GPA is good if it is unweighted or lightly weighted. Just make sure he gets good grades on the standardized test because he's competing with a lot of 4.0 applicants.
    · Reply · Share
  • ohiopublicohiopublic 1683 replies31 threads Senior Member
    My wife just called and our son was accepted into Honors today (I'm assuming he's into FSB honors since he is business major?). Right now Miami's Merit and a MLPSLI scholarship gives him $9500 before any other aid/grants. Miami is 4-5,000 less expensive than OSU. But he loves the Buckeyes. We like the price of Miami!
    · Reply · Share
    What's "a MLPSLI scholarship"?
    · Reply · Share
  • Oakton ParentOakton Parent 49 replies1 threads Junior Member
    Daughter also received Honors Program acceptance letter today (not FSB) but still no word on scholarships or financial aid.
    · Reply · Share
    ADMITTED!!!!!!

Today for Honors, NOT scholars!!!!!!

So excited. Will be attending fo sho :)
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity