right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: AMALehigh is a rising sophomore at Lehigh University, majoring in Finance. He answers questions about academics, networking, finance, Greek life, or Lehigh in general. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Did I make a poor choice with choosing Michigan State over GaTech?

sailanasailana 8 replies4 threads New Member
edited June 2012 in Michigan State University
okay so thing is:

i was accepted to both schools and got a full ride to both, and chose gt over michigan state.

truth is, i felt that i had an interest in engineering, but becoming a physician is my primary goal, and georgia tech doesn't have a medical program. but i feel like i may have made a poor choice, as i do want to do an undergrad degree in engineering, and i feel that gt would be able to provide me with a better undergraduate engineering education.. thoughts?
edited June 2012
8 replies
Post edited by sailana on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Did I make a poor choice with choosing Michigan State over GaTech?

• romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes 34216 replies770 threads Senior Member
    OK... You've said two different things. Which one are you attending?
    · Reply · Share
  • sailanasailana 8 replies4 threads New Member
    i'm sorry. i will be attending michigan state
    · Reply · Share
    Why do you think GT will provide a better eduction?
    · Reply · Share
  • sailanasailana 8 replies4 threads New Member
    it has a world renown engineering program.. i like michigan state better, but i feel that the opportunities would perhaps be better for me at georgia tech...
    · Reply · Share
    Well, what is about MSU that you like better?

You're right that GT has a better engineering reputation, but I'm not sure about their pre-med track. If engineering is not your ultimate goal, then the reputation of the engineering program isn't going to matter that much.
    · Reply · Share
  • fa-la-la-lenafa-la-la-lena 2790 replies54 threads Senior Member
    its normal to have doubts about your school choice but the opportunities at MSU are nearly limitless. It may not have a top-ranked engineering program but I haven't heard any of my (quite intelligent) friends complain about it quality or education-wise. Especially if you are ambitious-it is relatively easy to take on independent projects, work under a professor, obtain funding for a research project etc. Don't worry too much about your school choice, be more concerned about what choices you make while you are at college in terms of reaching out to the various opportunities offered.
    · Reply · Share
  • kiwiifruitkiwiifruit 11 replies5 threads New Member
    what scholarship did MSU offer you? ADS? I'm just curious.
    · Reply · Share
  • res ipsares ipsa 1928 replies15 threads Senior Member
    If you are interested in pursuing a career in engineering, then I would have accepted the offer at Georgia Tech because I believe it would have offered you more opportunities than MSU and would have provided a more challenging academimc program. If you are interested in pre-med, if you are unsure of what you are interested in or if you are looking for a more traditional campus environment vs an urban campus, then I understand the decision to MSU and would not be critical of your choice. MSU has a strong pre-med program and as falala mentions, offers seemingly limitless opportunities for the undecided. There is also a lot of campus spirit at MSU and I suspect a more well rounded college experience than GT.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity