Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We want your feedback! Complete our survey and enter to win one of four $25 gift cards.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

Alumni Distinguished Scholarship Competition

kkei08kkei08 Registered User Posts: 152 Junior Member
edited February 2008 in Michigan State University
Anyone have any additional information on it, such as length, what's covered, etc.? Any information other than "3 hour test covering everything learned from elementary to high school" would be helpful.
Post edited by kkei08 on

Replies to: Alumni Distinguished Scholarship Competition

• fa-la-la-lenafa-la-la-lena Registered User Posts: 2,844 Senior Member
    I second this. Is there anyone who took the ADS test before? Any comments about it?

And who else is thinking of coming to the competition? I most likely am, if my parents can arrange it.
  • horsey116horsey116 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    I should be coming, although I must admit - it looks like a nerve-wracking experience. Its a bummer it costs money too. Who else is staying at the Kellogg Conference Center?
  • DSCDSC Registered User Posts: 1,111 Senior Member
    My cousins did it, and nicknamed it the Valentines Day Massacre. Supposed to be hard enough that college grads would struggle through it. However, 1 cousin got cash for it, and his roommate got a full ride for it, so the money is legitimately there.
  • bennisbennis Registered User Posts: 351 Member
    Im going to the one on Feb. 8-9. Not staying overnight though...$110 is a lot to take a test where any real scholarship money is a longshot.
  • puppylover6464puppylover6464 Registered User Posts: 361 Member
    i'm going feb 8-9th too. staying overnight.
  • shyanneshyanne Registered User Posts: 875 Member
    The money pays for a extremely nice room at the Kellogg Center and probably other things like meals.
    The extra 50 is for the room only. The initial 65 covers all meals and stuff. Im only 30 minutes away, so its not so bad. :P
  • Lauren521Lauren521 Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    I'm going Feb 1-2, staying overnight
  • ppenguin757ppenguin757 Registered User Posts: 434 Member
    I'm going February 8-9 staying overnight. I have to be up there on Thursday night, too, since it's so far away, lol.
  • SBDadSBDad Registered User Posts: 847 Member
    IMO it's very much a trivia test. If you would do well on Jeopardy, you would do well on the ADST. I've always found it interesting (and annoying) that this is one of the only academic four year scholarships at MSU and you are being measured on your general level of currents events and factoids, and not on your intellectual ability. It's also crazy and insulting that they make you pay anything to come and take the test.
    took the test today...

didn't think it was THAT horrible. but i also didn't do that well, either.

probably was a waste of my life. but i had fun in east lansing, and learned a lot of stuff about MSU.

go spartans :)
    Yeah, it wasn't BAD, but I tanked the test...
    the rooms were nice though!

i had my own one person suite =]
  • fa-la-la-lenafa-la-la-lena Registered User Posts: 2,844 Senior Member
    I wish the test was on current events... that's the only thing I really do know. More just obscure questions from subjects i don't care about in the least.... like art history. and there were some questions off a MCAT medical school exam. One of the comments about the test that they read off to us was "Do everything you can, and guess on the remaining 139 questions." (there are 140 questions on the test). And the two essay questions? ugh. ugh. triple ugh. Just some background info for next years prospective ADS competition students...

but yeah, the rooms were gorgeous suites with huge tvs and king-size beds. And it was a great opportunity to see the campus; even in the dead of winter, it still is beautiful
This discussion has been closed.