Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Schedules for 10-11

Replies to: Schedules for 10-11

• romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 33,742 Senior Member
    ^ Have you tried emailing the teacher directly to see if they can give you an override?

And don't worry, you'll probably get in. Class adds/drops opens for upperclassmen tomorrow so I would follow it pretty closely.
  • zhongwenzhongwen Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    I didn't think to do that, thanks for the tip! :)
  • fa-la-la-lenafa-la-la-lena Registered User Posts: 2,844 Senior Member
    wow zhongwen why are you taking both 1st and 2nd year madison classes in one year (If you don't mind me asking?)
    I'm a transfer student (technically going to be a sophomore), and the English class I took at my previous university did not count towards the writing courses at MSU. My advisor said I should take both MC111 and MC112 along with the two courses for my major.
    ^^^ah got it. That's a bummer
    ^ haha yep. By the way, you are majoring in IR, right? Do you have any advice as to what books to buy for MC220? I saw that you can use ones on reserve in the library...I'm wondering if maybe I just shouldn't buy some of the books to save money, or if I'll use them all enough that it would be worth purchasing my own copies.
  • H2013H2013 Registered User Posts: 169 Junior Member
    Fall 2010

Intro to criminal justice Tu Th 4:10 PM - 5:30 PM
    U.S. & The World (D) Tu Th 2:40 PM - 4:00 PM
    Intro to Amer Ntl Gov. M W 8:30 AM - 9:50 AM
    Statistical Methods M W 5:30 PM - 6:50 PM

Spring 2011

Introduction to Microeconomics M W 10:20 AM - 11:10 AM
    Roles of Lang in Society (D) Tu Th 8:30 AM - 9:50 AM
    Natural Hazards & Environment M W F 1:50 PM - 2:40 PM
    Geology Human Environment Lab Th 12:40 PM - 2:30 PM
    Intro to Political Philosophy Tu Th 10:20 AM - 11:40 AM
    Is it okay for me to purchase my books now or should i wait for classes to start?
    ^ It's OK to buy them before classes if you have one of two conditions:
    -You can return them for the full price within a week after school or whatever.
    -You can afford it- because you sometimes won't need the book, even if it's listed.
  • FlyingOctopiFlyingOctopi Registered User Posts: 107 Junior Member
    H2013: I took IAH 231C Roles of Language in Society in Spring 2009. I really enjoyed it. Who is the prof? I had Wagner, she was pretty good. Just never be late for her class, she will call you out in front of the entire lecture hall ;)
  • PunkchiquePunkchique Registered User Posts: 378 Member
    @zhongwen,
    same here. English classes didn't transfer so I have to take 1st year writing classes but second year science classes, it blows lol
    Flying Octopi- I have it with Wagner too. Any other tips, like are her tests mostly from the book or the notes??

Romanigypsyeyes- That's what I heard, but i'm just nervous about needing the book the first week of class. Do most kids come into the class with the books or buy them later?
    @Punkchique - yeah, it does suck. haha I was kind of expecting my credits not to transfer, but it would've been nice not to have to take more English classes.

@H2013 - I am a transfer so I'm not 100% sure on how things work at MSU, but at my last college, my experience was that almost all, if not all, freshmen come with all of the books that are listed as required, but about 50% of upperclassmen wait a bit to see what's actually needed and what isn't. The advantage to buying books ahead of time is you can buy online without having to worry about when it will arrive, but if you're just going to buy books from one of the campus bookstores anyways, I would suggest waiting.
    @H2013- The majority buy them either the day before, or the first week. Trust me, you're fine. Obviously nothing will be due the first day (unless you're contacted ahead of time), and then unless you have class 4-5 days per week, you will have time in between one class and the next to get the book.
    @zhongwen: yep I'm majoring in IR! You can use the books on reserve at the library, but I highly recommend to buy your own IR books. I know it stinks, but you will literally be reading every page of every book you get assigned to (for the large majority of professors) and it is a pain in the butt if you don't have the text to reference with you especially when you are writing essays. However if you do make a friend also in your IR class that lives in the same dorm as you, you can always share books. Don't bother buying "recommended" books though. Also generally, the IR books are not too badly priced (aside from the main textbook they are between $10-30 - the main textbook you can find used from other madison students or on half.com for a decent price. Just curious, what professors do you have for your madison classes?
This discussion has been closed.