Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We want your feedback! Complete our survey and enter to win one of four $25 gift cards.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

so... like urr why do people want to go into west point?

JoethemoleJoethemole - Posts: 954 Member
edited September 2005 in Military Academy - West Point
I mean, isn't the military kinda a risky profession? not to diss it or anything, but just curious.
Post edited by Joethemole on

Replies to: so... like urr why do people want to go into west point?

• CDN_dancerCDN_dancer Registered User Posts: 2,579 Senior Member
  • shogunshogun Registered User Posts: 1,895 Senior Member
    Look at it this way son, without the U.S. military YOUR life would be a a rather "risky" proposition, even in Canada..
  • oiixxgoiixxg Registered User Posts: 215 Junior Member
    Joe: Life is a risky profession.

In the words of Clint Black: "The highest cost of livin's dyin', that's what everybody pays."

Once you get past the fact that none of us is getting out of here alive, its all about what you choose to do with the time you have.

Since you've posted a similar remark on the Parents board, I'm thinking that you may be struggling to understand why some of your peers "hear the call" of the military in general and the Academies in specific, while others don't.

Everyone at every academy will tell you flat out: "This isn't for everyone." But before you judge military service in black and white terms (that is: dangerous vs. not dangerous) keep this in mind: many of service academy attendees do this because they so much love the lives that their friends and family outside the military are free to live that they are more than willing to give their youth over to assuring those lives and freedoms are protected.
  • mrgreenapplemrgreenapple Registered User Posts: 415 Member
    I serve so my best friends don't have to.
  • davidav87davidav87 Registered User Posts: 326 Member
    Everyone is looking for the best weigh loss stragedy these days...
    Going to the military is one of them right now, check out Jenny Craigs website and you'll see the new military campaign.
  • navy2010navy2010 Registered User Posts: 3,607 Senior Member
    So Joe- left you an answer on the Service Academy Parents Thread- hope you find it-
    and hope you find an answer to the question you posted!
  • prayerful momprayerful mom Registered User Posts: 589 Member
    Joethemole if you're out there, I thought you might like to see this....
    you need to turn up the volume.

To all the families, I am certain that you'll want to see this tribute to our heroes!

• momoftwinsmomoftwins Registered User Posts: 2,668 Senior Member

Loved it!
  • JamzmomJamzmom Registered User Posts: 2,813 Senior Member
    mrgreenapple, and we thank you for it! Poor Joe. He doesn't have what it takes to be one of you. That might be considered a very good thing. Gotta love that link PM put up for us. It didn't need to speak with words to prove a point.
This discussion has been closed.