right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

In an exclusive AMA for College Confidential, Gaelle Pierre-Louis, a former college admissions officer, reveals surprising insights on the elite college application process. ASK HER ANYTHING!
PARENTS4PARENTS: With the deadlines for ED/EA coming up shortly, thumper1 and happymomof1 will be answering questions and sharing their tips on how to build your college list. ASK THEM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our October Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
Finding the right college for your unique situation can be challenging. Hear from other students who shared their admissions story. Download our FREE Student Voices - vol. 1, Student Voices - vol. 2, and Student Voices - vol. 3 eBooks NOW!

Test scores?

mjstewart1224mjstewart1224 525 replies8 threads Member
Hey guys,
I'm applying as a transfer student (non-traditional) so I took my ACT's back in 2008. Scored really high in Eng and Reading (34 and 36) and just kind of meh in math and science for a composite score of 29.

Are these worth submitting to MHC? I am an English major, so my best scores correspond with my area of study. But 29 is the 25th percentile for MHC so I'm not sure if I should. Any advice?
5 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Test scores?

• DustyfeathersDustyfeathers 3702 replies85 threads Senior Member
    google the words <mt. holyoke> and <prepscholar> and you will find the score and GPA range that you will probably need.
    · Reply · Share
  • FireflyLightsFireflyLights 210 replies7 threads Junior Member
    Honestly? Probably not worth it. The test scores are pretty old - people change a lot in nine years - and since the composite is below average I can't see it helping much. I think your abilities in english and communication will come through in other ways on the application.
    · Reply · Share
  • mjstewart1224mjstewart1224 525 replies8 threads Member
    Thanks @FireflyLights ! That is how I was leaning as well. My essays are well-written, and my professor recommendations are strong. I'll skip the test scores.
    · Reply · Share
  • FireflyLightsFireflyLights 210 replies7 threads Junior Member
    Good luck on your application!
    · Reply · Share
  • exlibris97exlibris97 1032 replies7 threads Senior Member
    I thought the College Board and ACT only reported scores that were less than 5 years old? On the other hand, submitting high scores cannot hurt. They may discount them but will at least see that you did well.

From what I know of MHC, they will (happily!) focus on other aspects of your application. Bonne chance!
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity