right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

In an exclusive AMA for College Confidential, Gaelle Pierre-Louis, a former college admissions officer, reveals surprising insights on the elite college application process. ASK HER ANYTHING!
PARENTS4PARENTS: With the deadlines for ED/EA coming up shortly, thumper1 and happymomof1 will be answering questions and sharing their tips on how to build your college list. ASK THEM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our October Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
Finding the right college for your unique situation can be challenging. Hear from other students who shared their admissions story. Download our FREE Student Voices - vol. 1, Student Voices - vol. 2, and Student Voices - vol. 3 eBooks NOW!

(MOHOs please help!!!!) rate of acceptance after being deferred?

DrsuyiDrsuyi 162 replies27 threads Junior Member
edited February 2007 in Mount Holyoke College
Hi, this is a question that both me and Rigor_col wants to know.

Do we still have a considerable amount of chances to get in?
And how was it like in the past?
Will the rate of acceptance as least as same as other Regular Applicants?
Please help us!!!

Drsuyi
edited February 2007
27 replies
Post edited by Drsuyi on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: (MOHOs please help!!!!) rate of acceptance after being deferred?

• DrsuyiDrsuyi 162 replies27 threads Junior Member
    Oh, anyone knows?
    · Reply · Share
  • rigor_colrigor_col 173 replies16 threads Junior Member
    Yes, please help us know the real thing!
    · Reply · Share
    Hi, rigor_col, we do have the same chances of admission as the other RD students, I just found out that ( called them)
    · Reply · Share
  • b@r!um[email protected]!um 10285 replies175 threads Senior Member
    the same chances of admission as other RD students
    That will sound picky, but I don't like the wording.
    The deferred ED acceptance rate is most likely different from the RD acceptance rate. If higher or lower depends on their ED policies. If no (intl) applicants are rejected ED and the best (intl) applicants are accepted, you are part of a less qualified group, which will lower the deferred acceptance rate significantly.
    If, on the contrary, they generally don't accept intls (needing fin aid) in the ED rounds but reject the worst applicants, your chances are higher than the regular RD acceptance rate.

What they probably meant is that they will treat you the same way as any other regular applicant, giving you no bonus or penalty for having applied ED.
    · Reply · Share
    well, it seems, for now, they put the deferred students in a special file. And also, it seems there are only a few ED students who got deferred. I am not very sure with this but it seems so when i call them, according to how they recognized me right away when i said my name which usually they would ask you to spell it.
    Just hope everything is alright
    · Reply · Share
    I guess the only thing we can do is wait.

I am reaaaalllly nervous too.... I was deferred by Smith.
    · Reply · Share
    dear God, please help us to be strong and wise...
    in your name, Amen
    · Reply · Share
    Drsuyi, maybe you're right. It's certainly true that admission is affected by the "level of interest" as it clearly states in Collegeboard. The +ve reply for "polite rejection" plays a part for letting them understand our interest in MHC. So, that may increase our chance.

But normally, deferral means we are not competitive out of the students (atleast within intl applying for aid, also depends on EFC) in ED applicant pool. We have found here in this forum that two int'ls are accepted and one is deferred frm ED1 and both of us from ED2 we may assume that intls needing fin aid are also accepted who have strong profiles.

Or, imo by the end of ED1 decisions all aid might have been expensed and didn't remain for ED2. THat's why ED2 with finaid means they can't afford!! (just speculating!) while since my EFC is $0 I might have been deferred for clear reason.

Deferred means you are a type of MHC student. Otherwise they would have rejected straight away. As far as RD applicants are concerned we have equal chances cuz we already know that we match the quality of students they need, you never know like "justamom" said we might get gracious aid too. Lets be optimistic and hope our supplement letter will overcome things!!!

BTW drsuyi, have you asked to adcom, "actually why MHC defers intl students"? Because the policies are diff for different schools.

*obsessed with defer, defer, defer*
    Now use this forum to spill obsession...I'd love to read diff. kinds of speculations ;)

Admitted students plz post your stats
    · Reply · Share
    Hi, Rigor_col, I actually asked them this first: " Is there a particular reason that you defer students?"
    he said " No, the reasons are usually not single one, usually very complicated." he also said that he can't explain me all this
    and then i asked: " why do you usually defer students anyways?"
    he answered: "Because we found there are many applicants who are with strong status that Mount Holyoke would like to have, but due to many complicated reasons we choose to defer some students to compare with the regular round"
    sounds like didn't answer at all,
    I should ask them about EDII application especially next time
    · Reply · Share
    by the way, they said i wasn't missing anything in my fin aid application
    · Reply · Share
    did they hint anything about financial reason whatsoever?
    · Reply · Share
  • MomwaitingfornewMomwaitingfornew 5611 replies210 threads Senior Member
    Drsuyi and rigor_col, as you probably know, MHC is generally good with funding international students; however, they get far too many strong applicants to admit them all.

You have the same chances in the RD round as the RD international applicants. Unfortunately, the amount of financial aid you need does play a role since they have limited (although more generous than many LACs) funds for internationals.

I hope you get in! Try not to let the deferral depress you; you are probably strong candidates at both MHC and elsewhere.
    · Reply · Share
    Has anyone heard about deferred int'l candidate with EFC $0, accepted in RD pool??? I'm v. anxious to know!

And, does int'l applicant have to send bank statement if her EFC is $0 ?
    · Reply · Share
    I don't think your EFC matters if they want you. I suspect that they take the international RD pool to see who they want to admit, then take things from there. An applicant with a $10,000 EFC is probably treated the same as one with $0 - except in aid package itself.

MHC may have been doing you a favor when it deferred you. You shouldn't apply ED to any college if you need financial aid because you'll need to compare packages, not just schools. Even with an EFC of zero, you'll find that colleges offer different packages. Some count massive loans as part of the package while others offer all grants and work study. You'll need to compare.

If you are missing anything from your financial aid application, you will be contacted by the college.

Any US college must arrange for the full financial burden of international students since otherwise those students could not get visas. (US students, even with an EFC of zero, are often accepted despite FA not meeting their full need.) Unfortunately, this adds yet another level of competition within the international pool.

As I said before, MHC is known to be extremely generous with international applicants, but it is, afterall, just a small LAC with limited spots.

You should look through last year's acceptance thread, both ED and RD, to see who was accepted - and what aid they received.
    · Reply · Share
    Thank you for the information!

Does CV has to be sent?

I have sent in the photocopies of the awards and certificates to the office of admission (not notorized/attested). Will this hurt me? Won't they be able to understand my ECs with the copies or I should have sent something like resume? However, I've filled up the ECs blanks in commonapp.

What did you all do anyway? any suggestions?
    · Reply · Share
    If a school wants a CV, they explicitly ask you for it (but MHC doesn't want one). And I don't think you need to send any copies of any awards you received. The same reason again: if they want it, they ask for it. Someone working in the admission office complained about international students who apparently don't read the application instructions and simply send copies of everything.

Just putting your ECs in the EC section on the CommonApp is fine. Some students find that they don't have enough space there and send an additional resume. If you send just a pile of photocopies of awards or certificates without listing them (or the related activity) anywhere else in your application, the admission people may not take notice those activities (e.g. because they don't have the time to look at all those certificates)
    · Reply · Share
    I can't answer those questions, but I'd guess that you don't have to do anything else. No American student sends in copies of awards, notarized or not. They simply list their ECs.

I'm not associated with MHC in any way, although I have in interest in it since my d was accepted there last spring. (She is now a first year student at Smith.)

Does MHC now accept the common app? If I remember correctly, last year it had its own online application. All I know is that my d submitted her application electronically and then sent in supplemental materials (art, fiction, and a complete list of activities.) I can't say whether this helped her or not since I don't think the other girls from her school who were accepted there did this.

Decisions are out of your hands now. You've completed your application and must now wait for the results of the RD pool.
    · Reply · Share
  • Toto_88Toto_88 5 replies0 threads New Member
    I'm an international prospec.. and u guys have made me soo nervouse. MHC is my 1st choice and I don't know what i'll do if don't get in, I've already been accepted into another one of my schools but it's not the same...

I guess all i can do is wait until april 1st...
    · Reply · Share
    toto, to which school are ya admitted? and, were you ED applicant?
    · Reply · Share
    hey, anyone deferred frm any school please post. Also admitted students who were deferred and then after admitted post what did you did to recover?
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity