Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

UMKC 6-year BS/MD Program

Replies to: UMKC 6-year BS/MD Program

• midwestFemmidwestFem Registered User Posts: 61 Junior Member
    @missourigrad, just heard that offers were sent to in-state waitlisted student(s) a week ago.

• uni5374uni5374 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    edited July 10
    Did UMKC tell you that? @midwestFem
    Heard from a student outside UMKC. @uni5374, did you try calling UMKC ?
  • uni5374uni5374 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Yes but they don't ever give out any information sadly @midwestFem
  • RoentgenRoentgen Registered User Posts: 1,482 Senior Member
    Yup, the UMKC Med Admissions office won't tell you where you are on the waitlist (which is different from previous application cycles, just based on anecdotal thread posts from previous applicants). You'll only be contacted (thru email) if you've received an offer for matriculation. EVERYONE on the waitlist will be contacted by email/thru the Student Portal, when the entire Year 1 class has been filled and to confirm that there will be no more offers extended.
  • RghanemRghanem Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    edited July 25
    Hello @Roentgen. I am very interested in this program and I've been looking through this thread for info. I see that you are a major contributor and it would be awesome if you could maybe send me a link to all your posts that you think would be beneficial for me. I hope you are having a great summer. Thank you!
    @Rghanem, you can filter all @Roentgen postings on this board. Try it out.
  • RghanemRghanem Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Oh I didn't know that. Thanks!
  • priyaluvsbookspriyaluvsbooks Registered User Posts: 296 Junior Member
    Hi! I'm a rising senior at the Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy who is applying to the 6 year Med Program at UMKC this fall! Unfortunately, the prompts for the short answer and essays aren't out yet and I was wondering if someone could post 2017 prompts up on this page? It would be a huge help!
    Thanks!
    Priya
    Hey @rghanem, so it's quite a lot, in terms of specific posts that I would consider to be important to understanding the UMKC Med School admissions process, as well as the experiences of people who are in the program (which is also important), and it's definitely not just limited to my posts by any means. I think high school applicants, current UMKC BA/MD students, parents, & alumni give great contributions to the thread discussion, so the thread is best taken as a full cohesive discussion, to gain the most out of it, vs. just searching solely for my posts, which I don't think will be as helpful in isolation. I really believe that's why our BA/MD thread has had the most views in this subforum, 1.1 million and counting (humble brag).

What I would do is look at posts starting from the 2015-2016 application cycle and onwards. Each cycle sort of starts that summer (June/July) before the application comes out in the fall. The 2015-2016 application cycle was actually pretty extensive & comprehensive in terms of applicant/parent involvement, questions asked both about the application and the medical school itself, as well as applicant posts regarding what happened on interview day, etc. You can also use the magnifying glass at the bottom of the thread near the page numbers to look up specific terms as well.
    edited August 6
  • abed6600abed6600 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    @Roentgen I see that you are extremely knowledgeable about the requirements for possible interview candidates and was wondering about your opinion on my chances being that I live in Kansas but go to a catholic school in Missouri:
    ACT: 30 (taking again with a class in hopes of improving) GPA unweighted 3.6
    AP English Language and Composition; 4
    AP Studio Art: 2-D Design Portfolio; 3
    AP United States History; 4
    AP World History; 4
    AP Chemistry; 3
    This year I am taking:
    AP Calc AB
    AP Environmental Science
    AP English Lit and Comp
    AP Gov
    Anatomy and Patho
    Received first honors/Summa Cum Laude all years
    Capt of the Lacrosse team
    Founder and President of a social awareness club
    Interfaith Club member
    Student Council all years
    National Honors Society
    Peer Minister
    Employed at IHOP
    Volunteered at a research for the past two years
    Shadowed at clinics and hospitals
    Im also fluent in arabic with a duel citizenship
    @abed6600,

So the average unweighted high school GPA for a student admitted to the B.A./M.D. program is 3.80, and the average ACT is a 31. You seem to be slightly below on the ACT score, and about 0.2 below the 3.8, although you do go to a private Catholic school, which is likely harder than a local public school in the area. UMKC tends to know the public schools and the private schools around the KC metro area and in St. Louis, both in MO and KS, very well so that may be taken into consideration. AP Exam scores are not taken into consideration and only matter AFTER you've been accepted.

The GPA used is based on the 17 core requirements: http://med.umkc.edu/bamd/admission-requirements-eligibility/, so it's not exactly the cumulative GPA that high schools will print out on a high school transcript.

Because you'd be a regional student, the pool and the number of spots allocated is larger than the out-of-state category, but smaller than the in-state category, so about 30-35 students in a Year 1 class of 110-115 students.

Your activities listed aren't that specific, in terms of variety and in terms of total number of hours, so it's really hard to tell, but I think you do at least have a chance of being interviewed as part of the regional pool, assuming you do well on the personal statement and the short essay questions.
    While doing the BA/MD program at UMKC, if one wants to take a required course ( for example SOCIOL 101) at another university and apply it to BA/MD for waiver of same course, is it allowed?
    edited August 14
    @midwestFem,

I just re-read your post more closely of "While doing the BA/MD program at UMKC, if one wants to take a required course" somewhere else. No, you CAN NOT. Once you're enrolled at UMKC in the BA/MD program, you can not enroll somewhere else for credit to transfer it in (it would be pointless to do so, anyways, since the program runs year around & it would be easier to just take it at UMKC).