Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Guidance For BA/MD Programs

Replies to: Guidance For BA/MD Programs

• neoevolutionneoevolution Registered User Posts: 374 Member
    You have time to apply, but you can forgo the progs and focus on regular UGs if you feel you can't do both.
  • grofkrgrofkr Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    I am trying one more time for SAT.

I can apply for both prog I have time. but if i have almost no chance based on stat then I should not apply.
  • DxSnakeDxSnake Registered User Posts: 54 Junior Member
    Out of curiosity, is it possible to become a family doctor but then choose to focus more on one age group?
  • texaspgtexaspg Super Moderator Posts: 16,597 Super Moderator
    https://nf.aafp.org/FellowshipDirectory/search

Not sure about focus unless you do a fellowship with a focus. The above link provides the type of fellowships possible after the residency.
  • DxSnakeDxSnake Registered User Posts: 54 Junior Member
    Thanks for the info.
  • bamd2014bamd2014 Registered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
    usciences/tcmc bs md program question.
    •TCMC has a strong interest in you if you are a Pennsylvania student...this is from usciences website. Since this program only guarantes an interview with TCMC (for seven seats), would it make sense to apply if you are from california. usciences is unranked.
  • MissMed12MissMed12 Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
    I'm in the accelerated BA/MD program. It depends on which program you are looking at. I think that GPA, as everyone said, is rather low. Pulling that up will help you. Doing extremely well on the ACT/SAT can offset and slightly low GPA. Usually it is easier to offset an average ACT/SAT with a high GPA. Your ECs look pretty good though. Good luck!
  • parentofsparentofs Registered User Posts: 127 Junior Member
    Long time reader(Parent). 1st time poster since my S is getting ready to apply to UG this fall. I bet this thread is FEATUREd by mistake.
  • FalconN10FalconN10 Registered User Posts: 85 Junior Member
    edited July 2014
    Yeah I haven't been on CC since years ago when I posted this topic... I have no idea why it is featured, most likely by accident.

I mean 2 years later I can say that I am a rising sophomore in the SBU GW program. I graduated hs with a 3.71 gpa which is in the lower range of most bsmd programs, but it just goest to show that even if you have a lower tier GPA, you still have a shot at getting into a program. These programs don't seem to have any particular formula to them, and theres a good deal of wildcards and chance involved! I applied to 20+ bsmd programs (yeah i know, crazy), got 3 med interviews, and was accepted into just this sbu/gw.
  • sm577501sm577501 Registered User Posts: 182 Junior Member
    @falconN10: Thanks for posting after 2 yrs. Its great to hear back from someone who has been in the program. How is UG program in SBU? How are the scholarship programs there? Any tips on for interviews based on your experience?
  • thalamusthalamus Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    Hey guys
    I'm currently a rising high school senior and am very interested in applying to a few accelerated premed programs (though not the crazy ones like in Brown). I just wanted to know what my chances are and how I could improve?
    GPA - 3.95
    Rank - Top 5-10%
    SAT - 2250 Reading and Math (800 Math, 660 Reading, 790 Writing) - Will take it again and get at least 700 Reading guaranteed (I took the SAT last March and I've significantly improved this summer)
    SAT II - Physics 760, US History 750, Math (1) 730, Biology (M) 740 --> planning on taking Math 2
    AP's - World History (4), Biology (4), US History (5), Physics B (5), Psychics C Mechanics (4).
    During Senior year I'll take AP Calc (AB and BC), AP Stats, and AP Lit

Extra Curriculars:
    In-School -
    ModelUN,
    Mock Trial,
    Forensics,
    Model Congress,
    SGA,
    Science Olympiad,
    and some sports activities
    (in all of these activities I'll have a leadership positions starting senior year)
    I'm also starting a combined Debate and Public Speaking Club as soon as the school year starts

Outside of School -
    Volunteer at 2 hospitals, each with 100+ hours,
    Shadow 2 doctors in their private practices, one's a cardiologist and the other a pediatrician (each of them are willing to give a good rec letter)
    Shadow a Lab diagnostician
    Member of the Youth Committee in my local community center (this committee serves over 1000 underprivileged youth a year with various events and programs), with 250+ hours
    Also a teacher at the weekend school for my local community center (I teach children language and religion studies)
    Starting an EMT course this fall, probably wont be state certified until January
    I also did a 6 week summer program at Carnegie Mellon University after receiving the William Elliot Scholarship (covered around 10k$ in costs)

Thanks
  • thalamusthalamus Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    @FalconN10‌
    I'd really appreciate it if you could give me your feedback on my last comment
    Also, could you tell me if you did anything special to get into the program?
  • premedlife23premedlife23 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    If you're looking into getting some help for MCAT prep and the admissions cycle, Premed HQ has really good resources on their website.
  • rKballerrKballer Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    So I've just been accepted for 3 interviews! For those that are looking this year or next year for the full list of programs and pretty helpful information on how to get into these BS/MD programs, I'd recommend starting at:

http://www.directmedprograms.com/

There are a ton of other resources out there as well, just google Direct BS/MD programs (as they are known by), or combined bs/md programs, or even guaranteed admissions programs in medicine.

Hope this helps! PM if you have any questions! Looking forward to getting this interview season started!
  • FalconN10FalconN10 Registered User Posts: 85 Junior Member
    @sm577501‌ The UG program at SBU is nice. I am not a very religious person at all, yet the mandatory theology courses and etc (being a Catholic school) is actually quite interesting. The bio department is filled with great and accomplished professors who know their material. It is quite surprising to see some of their credentials, especially being a small school. Scholarships are pretty good, on average most students in the program will get a good chunk off through scholarships. I can't give you an exact percentage because it differs from person to person. As far as interviews go, the whole point is to show that you belong in the program. Once one receives a med school interview, its usually a lot about personality and if that personality is a good fit for the school and its values. If you or anyone else has specific questions about interviews, feel free to message me!

@thalamus‌ Sorry for the late reply, I guess my answer doesn't matter much at this point as you are already starting to get interview notifications and whatnot. But that looked good! What all programs have you applied to? That EMT stuff would be a good thing to talk about for the SBU GW program if you applied and have an interview with us.
This discussion has been closed.