Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

** Combined Medical Program Application Guide **

2»

Replies to: ** Combined Medical Program Application Guide **

• 4beardolls4beardolls Registered User Posts: 1,474 Senior Member
    Thank you, Raycmr. We found a family friend who is a doctor and has agreed to let my son shadow him.
  • DesiGirl21DesiGirl21 Registered User Posts: 54 Junior Member
    My D got into Caltech/UCSD 8 year medical program, require SAT > 2250 or ACT > 35 and need Math2 = 800 and other sub SAT score = 800 as well, and for sure GPA=4.0, and offcourse lots of medical research activities, volunteering and other state level achievements
    DesiGirl21, congratulations to your daughter! That is a great accomplishment!

Would you please clarify your statement about Caltech/UCSD 8 year med program? You stated that it requires:

"SAT > 2250 or ACT > 35 and need Math2 = 800 and other sub SAT score = 800 as well, and for sure GPA=4.0, and offcourse lots of medical research activities, volunteering and other state level achievements."

Where can I find this information? I went on their website and can't find any specifics. My junior son's Math2 was 760 so does that mean he would not be qualified for the program? By the way, he got 800 for SATII World History and 230 for PSAT and 4.0 GPA. And he has EC's including research, volunteering etc... I just started recently to learn more about the combined programs.
  • DesiGirl21DesiGirl21 Registered User Posts: 54 Junior Member
    Actually the SAT score => 2350 not 2250.

Below is the link to the combined Caltech/UCSD medical scholars program

http://www.admissions.caltech.edu/uploads/File/general/MedScholars2010.pdf

Good luck
  • Researcher101Researcher101 Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    Congrats! Just wondering, but which other MD programs is she applying/ has applied to?
    DesiGirl21, I looked at your link but still don't see the score information.
  • MikeKay83MikeKay83 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Very nice.

I am seeing "lifeguard" as a medical activity, is it because of rescue techniques we learn during training?

"Medical activities would include being a Volunteer EMT or Ski Patrol or lifeguard, shadowing a doctor at a hospital or private practice, volunteering at a hospital or nursing home, and research with an undergraduate professor or through a program."
  • neoevolutionneoevolution Registered User Posts: 374 Member
    Basically. You receive some medical training, and more importantly IMO are placed in a position of responsibility where you need to use or at least potentially use your training. It's why just getting training alone isn't worth much because it doesn't constitute a medical experience by itself.
  • indiandespogirlindiandespogirl Registered User Posts: 153 Junior Member
    I had no idea that a lifeguard position would be considered as a part of a medical related program. Wow!
  • bsmdcanbsmdcan Registered User Posts: 56 Junior Member
    Thank you for the comprehensive guide related to BS/MD application.

I need some help regarding the application process and essays. So if I am applying for BS/MD programs, do I need all of the following in addition to any supplement essays.

1. Common App essay.
    2. Personal Statement.
    3. Why medicine essay?

I was under the impression that Personal statement is same as why medicine essay.

Can anyone please advice on this.

Thank you.

• bsmdcanbsmdcan Registered User Posts: 56 Junior Member
    Bump. Any feedback on this please.

Thank you.
  • sm577501sm577501 Registered User Posts: 182 Junior Member
    Typically that is correct but if you go through each college website they outline the process. Better even to call them to confirm. There are additional essays for scholarship in many cases.
  • stones3stones3 Registered User Posts: 718 Member
    congrats on TCNJ! that's incredible, you are so fortunate to be in such a fantastic program. You will be very very happy
  • GoldenRockGoldenRock Registered User Posts: 915 Member
    @dkistheway First congratulations and wish you the best on your future education and career. Second, thanks for posting your stats and reflections. (would you please post it in this thread: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/multiple-degree-programs/1857339-bs-md-results-for-class-of-2016-p2.html). Finally your last para of reflection is so true and beautiful. Some are naturally talented and motivated but for some, others life stories inspires, whether it is Benjamin Franklin or Sam Zell or Mother Teresa or Mark Zuckerburg. You are darn right, on the second point, learning does not stop and you need to keep climbing. GL.
    "Good luck to everyone and remember all the rags to riches stories in the world! Took me some time to fully understand that the college doesn't determine your success, it simply gives you a staircase that you can choose to climb or not. Some staircases are carpeted, others are steeper, others have missing steps, but all point upwards!
    "
2»
This discussion has been closed.