Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

*** BS/MD Interview Notification for Class of 2014***

1160161162163164166»

Replies to: *** BS/MD Interview Notification for Class of 2014***

• nexus55nexus55 Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    My son got admitted into Rice from waitlist. His brother was a Rice-Baylor student and is in Baylor Medical College. He has to make a decision between RPI/AMC which he has already accepted. What is your advise between RPI/AMC and Rice undergraduate?
  • ajaysinghajaysingh Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Congratulations !! Is he in the Rice - Baylor program ? That program is good. I would guess better than RPI/AMC.
  • nexus55nexus55 Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    @ajaysingh, No he did not get into Rice-Baylor. Just Rice for undergraduate. What would you do in this situation.
  • ajaysinghajaysingh Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Maybe you can ask your son as to what he wants to do...for sure pursue MD or maybe have something else in mind. If he feels he has to pursue MD, then the question is he will need to take MCAT after Rice. Based on his opportunities available now, I am sure he can take MCAT and get a good score and then go to MD too. Once he goes into MD, will Rice education be more beneficial or RPI education ? I think having a good GPA from Rice plus good MCAT score will help him land in a med school as good as Albany or better.
  • texaspgtexaspg Super Moderator Posts: 16,599 Super Moderator
    @ajaysingh what State are you from?

If from Texas, I would advice your son to go to Rice since many go from there to State med schools. It is not as easy for someone from another state to give up a guaranteed medical seat.

http://admit.rice.edu/2013surveyinfographic_CCD.pdf
  • sm577501sm577501 Registered User Posts: 182 Junior Member
    @texaspg: I checked with UTB and they said their BSMD program is open to OOS students. Are there other UT programs that are available to OOS students? Thank you!
    Are you saying UTMB?

Which of their programs is open to OOS?
  • sm577501sm577501 Registered User Posts: 182 Junior Member
    UT Brownsville's A PRIME.
    A-PRIME is a conditional medical school admission with a shortened time frame. Those are usually much harder.

I don't see a Texas residence requirement listed.
  • xform14xform14 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    I have been a passive CC follower. I just finally came out of my cocoon this evening. Before I change my mind I wanted to provide my thoughts about my college application process.

First of all I want to thank CC and specifically the active members of the "Official thread for 2014 bs/md applicants and bs/md interview notification for class of 2014". You helped me navigate this bumpy roller coaster and highly emotional journey successfully - I was able to calm my nerves, sleep well in the nights and more importantly finish the senior year pretty strongly.

Looking back over my own journey and the various posts in CC - the pool of bs/md applicants is very strong in all ( GPA / Standardized test scores/ec's/ research & other required credentials) respects. So as many of you have suggested the ways to differentiate one self are: through essays, depth and leadership positions in your ec's and be confident, passionate in your interviews ( be balanced and do not go overboard). Research, shadowing - with privacy issues not sure how effective is this exercise and lack of universal access to labs ( need contacts, commuting considerations, school schedule) - weights attached to these components of the application, in my opinion are pretty subjective across the various programs and therefore, one needs to emphasize them accordingly (if one can decipher what the program is looking for!),

Sitting now and reflecting back on the journey - it seems i got my fair share - got into few mid tier programs. I believe I was authentic in the subjective areas - essays, ec's, interviews - and these were "second"ed in my recommendations.
  • tulsi3pateltulsi3patel Registered User Posts: 52 Junior Member
    Has anyone here applied to MCPHS BS/MD with TCMC college. If some one can share some knowledge would be great as my daughter is interested in program.
  • cherryontop678cherryontop678 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    hi im senior who just got invited for an interview for the sbu program and I have an interview scheduled for January 26, 2015 I was wondering if I could get information about how the interview was and any tips you might have
This discussion has been closed.