right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new, modern forum platform with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return by Friday, Nov. 27 at 2:00pm ET. Read more about this here!

Chemical engineering/education

berms720berms720 26 replies27 threads Junior Member
Hi so I'm really interested in sciences, specifically chemistry. I've read that if you're interested in chemistry, chemical engineering is a better degree than chemistry, with more job opportunities and higher pay.. I sort of wouldn't mind teaching high school chemistry though... So would I be able to teach high school chemistry with a major in chemical engineering and minor in education?
3 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Chemical engineering/education

• anhydriteanhydrite 574 replies1 threads Member
    edited February 2015
    Well, you may be able to teach, but a few things:

Chemical engineering is difficult. It can have good job prospects if you do well, e.g. internships, research, co-ops, etc. If you don't intend to work in industry as a chemical engineer, it may make more sense to study chemistry as a natural science.

If you're looking to become a research chemist at a university (or perhaps go into industry as well; this certainly happens, but with a slightly different emphasis than engineering -- e.g. chem as a natural science can be more theoretical, and / or applied, but you'd need be a high-performing candidate), you'd need to complete a PhD in a sub-field of chemistry. If you truly wanted to teach chemistry at the high school level, you probably could do this with a solid undergraduate program, perhaps an MS in chemistry; then, the proper respective high school education credential in whatever state you intend to teach in.

edited February 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • berms720berms720 26 replies27 threads Junior Member
    @anhydrite‌ thanks! The problem I see is that I just don't have my mind set on either or.. Teaching or being a chemical engineer.. I think going into chemical engineering is what I'm thinking about because it pays better and there are more jobs, and I'm just using teaching as a fail safe.. But if I went into chemistry and I ended up not wanting to teach, I don't have a good alternative like I would with chemical engineering..
    · Reply · Share
  • anhydriteanhydrite 574 replies1 threads Member
    Hmm ... I sense a little confusion with your career goals. At your age, this is OK; your first years in college should help you solidify what you want to do.

That said, I would recommend choosing either chemistry, or chemical engineering at a solid school, and intending to get the best grades possible in your major. If you become highly competent in a chemistry-related field, the high school teaching track should be open for you later on. On the contrary, if you do not achieve much in a chemistry-related field during your university years, you may not have the option of going into chemistry / chemical engineering fields later.

It is generally the case that chemical engineering is industry-related, and there's a likelihood to obtain a good-paying position if, again, you apply yourself and do well. Chemistry as a natural science requires dedication, and one hopes, a love of chemistry. Several career opportunities may arise if you pursue advanced study in the natural science.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity