Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

***Official Thread for 2016 BSMD applicants***

Replies to: ***Official Thread for 2016 BSMD applicants***

• ThinkOnThinkOn Registered User Posts: 338 Member
    #bearchichi Totally no worries! Thanks for posting the info, very very helpful!
  • GoldenRockGoldenRock Registered User Posts: 915 Member
    Just for clarity, that is not true. I think the interpretation I made looks right. Here is the reasoning.

For example take UCSD:
    UCSD 487/48/11 0/0/0 487/48/11 4.24

This program WAS strictly for in state students only. That is why out of state is 0/0/0. So the first block of 3 numbers for in state, second block of out of state and third block for total.

Another example NEOMED:
    NEOMED 249/196/102 237/28/3 486/224/105 3.88 1413/31

It's policy is for in state, and ony few out of state is accepted every year. It used to be 3, last 2 years it is gone to 9 for total out of state. That is why first block in state is heavy.

Take BU:
    BU 78/5/0 904/79/16 982/84/16 2311
    It's policy is any student. In that year, so happened no one from Mass was enrolled.
  • texaspgtexaspg Super Moderator Posts: 16,597 Super Moderator
    Many of the students I know who attend the BU program are OOS. So it is definitely not instate heavy.
  • satplanotxsatplanotx Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    this is great info. Does anybody has any similar data or even partial data for 2015 or 2016? please. incase anybody colelcted.
  • satplanotxsatplanotx Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    Also, anybody aware of any experienced college consultants service (or online service) that takes candidate profile and recommend set of bs/md direct programs? particularly out of state bs/md programs. (in case if any has better luck with it)
  • ssaini1ssaini1 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    edited July 2016
    Hi I am a current senior and would like to know my chances!!
    1060--SAT (1600)
    3.6 GPA
    530 US History Subject Test
    560 Literature Subject Test
    3 AP Euro Test

Have 70+ hours of volunteering at UC Davis Medical Center
    Freshman soccer player
    2 years of yearbook, 1 being a copy editor for the Schools yearbook
    2 Jean MC yearbook awards, 1st and 2nd place
    20 hours of volunteering at senior center
  • Undecided3494Undecided3494 Registered User Posts: 139 Junior Member
    @ssaini1 I'm going to be a little blunt here. You have no realistic chance for a BS/MD program as your test scores are much too low and you have a lack of extracurriculars. The people that you will be competing with for spots will most certainly have SAT scores of at least 1450 and a GPA of at least 3.8, they will also have many more extracurriculars than you and many more leadership positions.My advice is to go to an undergrad where you can succeed and try to attain a high GPA and build a good resume for Medical School admission if you are really set on going in to medicine.
  • srk2017srk2017 Registered User Posts: 1,750 Senior Member
    @ssaini1 - I agree with @Undecided3494 - you are stats are too low for BS/MD. you probably need 3.75 GPA with high SAT & SAT IIs (750+). you medical ECs are fine. Your stats are too low for most UCs also. You need to take 1 math and 1 science for science related majors.
  • ssaini1ssaini1 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    edited July 2016
  • chocolatina1001chocolatina1001 Registered User Posts: 134 Junior Member
    For SAT Subject tests, what are recommended scores for BS/MD programs?
    I have 800 Math 2, 760 US History, 750 Biology M. Will be retaking biology. Should I retake US History? I am pretty sure my score will go down if i take it again. Also is 1560/1600 SAT a reasonable score or should I try to improve that?
    @chocolatina1001 - Your score should be good enough. not much difference between 750 and 800 for SAT IIs and your SAT is fine too. Are you a truly a Latina? If so, your scores are probably as good as perfect scores.
  • chocolatina1001chocolatina1001 Registered User Posts: 134 Junior Member
    @srk2017 Haha no I am Indian. The name is just from a book I read as a kid.
    @chocolatina1001 - you are in tough then :( not sure it is worth retaking Bio since you already have 750 I am an Indian too, so my S is in the toughest group!
  • GoldenRockGoldenRock Registered User Posts: 915 Member
    @chocolatina1001 Don't have to retake US History. Your scores are good. Subject tests, not all programs need. Even for few which needs, you are good. At this stage, start spending energy on essays / prompts etc., Once schools starts, you need to focus on 1st semester courses. Overall app need to be start and not necessarily test scores need to be perfect or near perfect. GL
This discussion has been closed.