Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

BSMD applicants college experience report

2»

Replies to: BSMD applicants college experience report

• srk2017srk2017 Registered User Posts: 1,750 Senior Member
    @cc2021 - Getting EECS is @ UCB, but he made a good choice by not taking it as a premed. Vandy also has medical school in same campus, but Rice is an excellent given the scholarship. I meant say GL earlier :-) one part I don't like about CC is 15 min limitation for edits.
  • bayreppin00bayreppin00 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    edited June 20
    Wow! Congrats to your son! Also just curious but what were your son's stats to get into the Albany BS/MD program? I heard that medical program is very competitive, so I'm just trying to see what types of kids get in those type of programs :)
    Most BS/MD applicants (including my son) perfect or close to perfect stats. ECs, essays, gender, ethnicity and location are big factors in colleges decision making.
  • BS_MD2017BS_MD2017 Registered User Posts: 69 Junior Member
    When my DD started the application process her goal was to get accepted into a good BS/MD program and she applied to a number of these programs. She also applied to Ivies as a backup in case she did not get into the programs.

By the end of the application process, she was accepted at NW HPME, Brown, BU SMED, Case, TCNJ/NJMS, Rutgers/NJMS, Penn State and RPI/AMC programs.

She was also accepted at Yale, Stanford, Princeton, Cornell, and Georgetown UG programs.

After much consideration and debate she decided to pursue UG degree at Stanford as she felt that this will give her the best UG exposure and experience. She decided to take a chance and give up all the programs. At the end she knows this is a big risk, but she felt this that this is what she wants to do and we supported her..

There is no right or wrong decision - it all depends on your situation.. As long as she has a good time academically and otherwise at Stanford, I think we will be very happy. Cheers..
  • GoldenRockGoldenRock Registered User Posts: 915 Member
    @BS_MD2017 Thanks for your post. Welcome to Stanford, the Bay Area, home base of mine. Need less to say, your DD is an accomplished student and will succeed in whatever path she takes. But it will be interesting to know in 4 years time, what her next step. Even if it is not a medicine career, she will be taking up some wonderful opportunity.
    Read an article, even after completing 4 years of MD in UCSF, few MD graduates decided not to pursue medicine practice, and went for startups to launch their career in Bay Area. GL.
    @BS_MD2017 Thanks for your post. Please post the stats in the results thread. I need to post my DS's stats also soon. still recovering from graduation parties :-)
  • PinkCloverPinkClover Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    As I can see through all the CC posts about BSMD applicants, everyone wants to fit this perfect mold to get accepted. They do a bunch of hours of hospital work and get perfect scores on all these standardized tests. But that's not what you really need. Through my personal experience, I've seen that it is just as important to show outside interests as it is to show interest in the medical field. During interview sessions I noticed that many of the other interviewees were stressed and it was obvious they were forcing smiles and acted rather awkward. My point is that applicants should be themselves. Even though I had very few hours of hospital work and not-so perfect test scores, I was accepted to the Rice/Baylor program. I just showed the admissions committee my idiosyncrasies versus trying to act like a perfect student. In fact, more of my application comprised of my flaws that I admitted versus my successes. Bottom line is that future BSMD applicants should not be super concerned about these CC posts and just mold themselves the way they are and also have their application reflect it. Let's be honest. Would the admissions council want a bunch of cookie cutter models or would they want to fill their class with interesting and dynamic individuals?
  • SV2018SV2018 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Hi. Could successful applicants to BSMD programs please post their stats and profiles? My DS is interested in applying to BSMD programs. Thanks.
  • GoldenRockGoldenRock Registered User Posts: 915 Member
    See the results thread of previous years. Also commit to post your stats at the end of the admission cycle.
2»