Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

***Official Thread for BSMD Applicants 2018***

Replies to: ***Official Thread for BSMD Applicants 2018***

• Empire007Empire007 Registered User Posts: 129 Junior Member
    edited May 29
    @tripledouble2000 your standardized scores are competitive (I know 10 points from perfect on your SAT and I say competive may sound strange, but many students applying will have scores similar to yours). Your volunteer/shadowing hours are really dependent on each program you are applying to. That's why I said try to get in touch with BSMD program coordinators and they could clue you in on how much they are really looking for. Remember each program looks for different kinds of students. I.e. RPI/AMC looks for students with strong research background, UConn or VCU look for students with hundreds of hours of shadowing, Brooklyn College/Downstate looks for significant hours of community service and schools like Brown look strongly at academic background. Figure out which niche you are and sell yourself that way.
  • tripledouble2000tripledouble2000 Registered User Posts: 239 Junior Member
    @Empire007 Thank you so much, you have been very helpful. I will definitely try to get in touch with some BSMD program coordinators to figure out what each program is specifically looking for and tailor my application to appeal to that program.
  • atx789atx789 Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    edited June 6
    hello! I am a rising senior and I don't know if I should apply to bs/md programs. I currently have a 1460 sat (which I retook this past saturday and am fairly confident that I got around a 1500 on) and I have an unweighted gpa of 3.84 (weighted is 4.23). I am also taking the sat subject tests in august and am aiming for 750+. I have taken AP chemistry, AP calculus BC, AP physics 1/2, and AP psychology, and am taking AP bio, AP statistics, multivariable calculus, and organic chemistry next year. As for extracurriculars, I am in band (and am a section leader) and also did dance for 10 years. I volunteered at a hospital for 50+ hours over last summer, and volunteer at a health clinic (I have also shadowed a pharmacist at that clinic). I will be attending the National Student Leadership Conference in healthcare and medicine this summer, which will include more exposure to the healthcare field. Am I good enough to be considered for bs/md programs or should I just stick to the pre-med route? thanks for any advice!!
    @atx789 I think, if you are 100% sure that you want to practice medicine as your career, you should definitely apply to some bsmd programs no matter your chances. As for chances, I would say your academic qualifications are pretty decent, but keep in mind that most bsmd applicants will have a near perfect GPA with SAT scores of 1550 and above, and even in that pool, <5% are accepted into a bsmd program. What really matters then is your ECs and other achievements. I can clearly see that you have a focus in medicine, but nearly everyone wanting to go into medicine, bsmd or traditional pre-med, volunteers at hospitals and clinics for upwards of 100+ hours, so I would not count on hospital volunteering to be your strongest EC. Also, NSLC happens to be a for-profit non-university affiliated organization that runs programs nation wide. They do not choose students based on merit so basically anyone who pays $3000 can attend it. Colleges know this, and unfortunately this may not give you the kind of academic respect/prestige you hope to get from attending it. Nevertheless, it certainly is a good opportunity to learn more about the medical field and gain exposure in different areas of it. I think overall, you are definitely a "good enough" applicant to be considered for a position in a bsmd program (you are competitive), but I would suggest you work on your ECs a bit more, and try to do something out of the ordinary. That said, I still think you should definitely apply to bsmd programs if you really want to go into medicine! :)
    @atx789 A little more advice: I'm guessing (from your screen name) that you are from Texas (so am I, I'm from Austin), so I would suggest you apply to a lot of instate bsmd programs since you likely won't be competing against applicants from all over the country and the world. Rice/Baylor takes applicants from all over the US I think, but there are a lot that are reserved only for Texas residents such as FAME (UTSA), UMSI (Texas Tech), and Baylor/Baylor.
    @tripledouble2000 I am also from Austin! And I think I'm applying to UMSI, Baylor, Penn state, Drexel/drexel, Rochester, Northwestern, Temple, and UAB.
    @atx789 that's super cool that you're from Austin too! I'm applying to a lot of the same ones that you are including UMSI, Drexel, Rochester, Northwestern, and UAB. But I am applying to PLME, FAME, and WUSTL USP instead of Baylor, Penn State, and Temple.
    edited June 9
    @tripledouble2000 That's cool! I can't seem to find the website for UTSA FAME though...
    @atx789 I just checked and it appears that you are right. Do you think they have discontinued the program?
  • GoldenRockGoldenRock Registered User Posts: 915 Member
    edited June 9
    I guess it was discontinued bc UTSA is not on the complete list of bs md programs for 2017 either
    https://www.premedhq.com/2011/07/list-of-bamd-programs.html it looks like UTSA is not on this list either so I guess it was discontinued
    https://www.premedhq.com/2011/07/list-of-bamd-programs.html it looks like UTSA is not on this list either so I guess it was discontinued
  • IndivisibleIndivisible Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    I talked to the FAME program director, and she confirmed that UT FAME has been cancelled.