Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

***Official Thread for BSMD Applicants 2018***

Replies to: ***Official Thread for BSMD Applicants 2018***

• tripledouble2000tripledouble2000 Registered User Posts: 239 Junior Member
    @REOSpeedwagon I'm sure programs like this exist for dentistry as well, because I'm sure I remember seeing some combined dentistry programs on some of the websites of colleges that also had combined medical programs. I don't know any off the top of my head but I'm sure there are a few.
  • Empire007Empire007 Registered User Posts: 129 Junior Member
    @REOSpeedwagon this list maybe a little old so I would check with each school individually to make sure but here is a list of combined BS/DDS programs. There maybe another thread on CC thats more recent about this type of program too. Since this is a BSMD thread we don't want too much discussion on this thread about DDS.

Adelphi University (Garden City, NY)

Boston University (Boston, MA)

Case Western Reserve University (Cleveland, OH)

Florida International University (Miami, FL)

Lehigh University (Bethlehem, PA)

Marquette University (Milwaukee, WI)

Moravian College (Bethlehem, PA)

Muhlenberg College (Allentown, PA)

New York University (New York, NY)

Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey — New Brunswick (Piscataway, NJ)

SUNY — Binghamton (Binghamton, NY)

Stevens Institute of Technology (Hoboken, NJ)

Temple University (Philadelphia, PA)

Tufts University (Medford, MA)

University of Connecticut (Storrs, CT)

University of Florida (Gainesville, FL)

University of Hartford (West Hartford, CT)

University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA)

University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA)

Wagner College (Staten Island, NY)
  • rc2017rc2017 Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    Continued from previous post

Reflection:

More than anything, what I took away from this application process was an overwhelming impression of the unpredictability of college and medical school admissions as well as a much greater appreciation for my amazing peers all over the country. During the process of interviewing for BA/MD programs and undergraduate scholarships I met so many fantastic people with astounding accomplishments that truly blew my mind, but the truth of the matter is that none of them, no matter how successful they were, got into every school/program they applied to, underscoring the unpredictable nature of this process. So, don’t be disheartened by a few, or even many, rejections - all you need is one acceptance to the right place for you.

In terms of BA/MD admissions, I cannot stress enough the importance of the essays and the interview. While most of the applicants will have the same stellar scores and extracurriculars that you do, what differentiates those that are accepted from those that are not is the personal aspect of the application process - the passion, personality, and institutional fit that come through in your writing and during the face-to-face interactions on interview day. In my experience, I found the institutional fit to be a factor whose significance I underestimated in the BA/MD application process. In my applications, I clearly articulated not only my passion for medicine but also my strong interests in business and bioinformatics, stating my firm intention to pursue a career as a physician-scientist and physician-executive. While these auxiliary interests fit with the vision of Northwestern HPME, which aims to foster multi-dimensional physicians through flexible undergraduate curriculum and the immense accessibility of pursuing multiple degrees (like an MBA, MPH, etc.) during medical school, I felt that other programs, Pitt GAP and CWRU PPSP in particular, sought candidates with a desire to be purely clinicians. Similarly, I found Brown PLME to have a heavy preference for candidates with a strong inclination toward the arts and humanities. These selective preferences among programs are actually a benefit to the applicant, though, since it essentially saves you from potentially choosing a program that doesn’t fit your interests.

One last piece of advice I have, which applies to both BA/MD and general undergraduate admissions, is to not lose sight of the end of the application process - choosing which school you want to spend the next 4 (or 7-8 yrs) at. In the stress of college admissions, with countless essays and interviews as well as ever-looming deadlines, it is easy to get swept into an “applicant’s mindset” - in the process of selling yourself to a school, you will focus on all the positives of every school you’re applying to and you will find yourself falling in love with all of these schools, and this is not necessarily a bad thing. However, when you get all of your decisions back by April 1st, you will only have a month to make a choice by May 1st. Having sold myself on all of the schools/programs I was applying to, it was especially difficult for me to choose between schools, especially between Northwestern HPME, Yale, Duke (A.B. Duke Scholar), and UPenn LSM. Ultimately, I had to take a step back and evaluate what was really important to me and what I valued in a school. Personally, this was a strange transition to make - from selling myself to schools, the dynamics shifted to schools selling themselves to me - and I found it somewhat difficult to look critically at these amazing programs. Nevertheless, I am confident I made the right decision in choosing HPME and I look forward to what awaits me during the next seven years at Northwestern.

Feel free to reach out and ask me any questions you may have. I am happy to help!
  • Engineer80Engineer80 Registered User Posts: 129 Junior Member
    @Empire07 - "Take It on the Run"?
    @Engineer80 - "Can't fight this Feeling"
  • GoldenRockGoldenRock Registered User Posts: 915 Member
    @rc2017 First congratulations on your decision to join NU HPME program and second thank you so much for your detailed post in the 2017 results thread with your stats and reflection.

As I was reading your post, my initial feel was you would have got acceptance from UPitt GAP since you have done so much of research in UPitt for 4 years for a HS student. Once I reached the programs accepted and rejected, settled with the reality, this BS/MD program admission is so unpredictable. Even with your level of accomplishments, only 1 program got clicked out of the 5 applied and UPitt did not give admission.

That is why when any one asks me to chance them, I keep telling them it is futile to try. Just do your best and apply and take a chance.

Interestingly in 2016 cycle 1 student who got in to top tiers program and UPenn similar to your situation, choose to go with UPenn LSM. Just remembered when I read your post. Worth to note you did let go Duke with full ride.

You are accomplished student and will do well in NU HPME. GL.

Just to help other students, what was the reasoning in your situation for not applied to U of Rochester BS/MD program?
  • IndivisibleIndivisible Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    By the way, I heard that GWU and St. Bonaventure/GWU are not guaranteed, and after looking at both of their websites, I can confirm that both schools have committees that determine whether or not you matriculate to GWU Medical School (and I can't seem to find any set-in-stone requirements anywhere, like a GPA or MCAT requirement). Can anyone confirm this?
  • JayShayyJayShayy Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    Anyone know if I can still get into a program like REMS or Pitt GAP if I don;t have God level stats like @rc2017? I have a 4.30 weighted GPA, 1550 SAT, tons of APs, over 250 hours volunteering in hospitals, about 250 more hours community service. I am also vice president of a major school club, a member of student council, and I work on the board of directors for a community service organization.
    @JayShayy

like @GoldenRock wrote in post #94:

"That is why when any one asks me to chance them, I keep telling them it is futile to try. Just do your best and apply and take a chance"

and I wrote in post #79:

"quite honestly this whole process is a crapshoot, you have stats that are very competitive for many programs, but then again none of us know what the program directors are really looking for.".

No one can predict whether you could get in to any program. What limited amount you wrote in terms of stats are competitive. Go look thru previous years results threads and you will get a good idea of what it often takes to get accepted. You named two ultra competitive top tier programs, if BSMD is something you really want make sure to apply to mid tier programs as well.
    edited June 30
    @Indivisible click link below, looks like from 2016. But call them to confirm if these are still the provisional requirements

https://www.sbu.edu/docs/default-source/fact-sheets/gw-dap-fact-sheet.pdf?sfvrsn=16
    @Empire007 Thanks for the link! This doesn't look encouraging at all; I'm more worried about GWU though. Do some program members not matriculate?
  • GoldenRockGoldenRock Registered User Posts: 915 Member
    @Indivisible That is possible. Some times due to not meeting expectations and some times students change their plan in college. There are posts in last cycle that UH students did not matriculate to MD schools for not meeting program requirements.

The link above for SBU is reasonable and mostly all schools will have similar expectations. Still it is better than going thru regular admission in terms of efforts and stress for some students.
    @GoldenRock My bad, I was wondering if there were people who met these expected standards and still did not matriculate. Considering that almost no non-BSMD St. Bonaventure students make it to medical school, I would much rather prefer going elsewhere. Thank you for answering my question though!
  • mouse2mouse2 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    edited July 3
    Should I make my personal statement for the Common App different from the essays I'll write in the BS/MD apps? My CA personal statement atm is essentially a narrative of an interaction I had at a retirement home with a resident with Alzheimer's Disease that inspired me to pursue medicine.

I've heard elsewhere on CC that it's not necessary to make your personal statement about medicine, but is it dis/advantageous to do so? For me, I think I would have trouble thinking of a more powerful experience in my life than the one at the retirement home.

What about making the personal statement more narrative and having my BS/MD essays talk more about myself and how my research links to it?
  • PinkCloverPinkClover Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    Here is my message to all you applicants (I posted this in another forum, if this seems familiar) :

As I can see through all the CC posts about BSMD applicants, everyone wants to fit this perfect mold to get accepted. They do a bunch of hours of hospital work and get perfect scores on all these standardized tests. But that's not what you really need. Through my personal experience, I've seen that it is just as important to show outside interests as it is to show interest in the medical field. During interview sessions I noticed that many of the other interviewees were stressed and it was obvious they were forcing smiles and acted rather awkward. My point is that applicants should be themselves. Even though I had very few hours of hospital work and not-so perfect test scores, I was accepted to the RICE/ BAYLOR program (which is where I will be attending). I just showed the admissions committee my idiosyncrasies versus trying to act like a perfect student. In fact, more of my application comprised of my flaws that I admitted versus my successes. Bottom line is that future BSMD applicants should not be super concerned about these CC posts and just mold themselves the way they are and also have their application reflect it. Let's be honest. Would the admissions council want a bunch of cookie cutter models or would they want to fill their class with interesting and dynamic individuals?