right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

texaspgtexaspg 16464 replies339 discussionsForum Champion Pre-Med & Medical Posts: 16,803 Forum Champion
edited May 16 in Multiple Degree Programs
Please post here if you are applying during 2019-2020 season.

Courtesy @Roentgen

Questions you should think about for medical school selection

https://dornsife.usc.edu/assets/sites/1/docs/advising/prehealth/New_Logo-35_Questions.pdf
edited May 16
91 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: ***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

• NoviceDadNoviceDad 670 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 671 Member
    Folks

Please check out the previous years RESULTs thread to get an idea of stats and profiles of students getting into BS/MD program. Here is the link:

https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/22265149#Comment_22265149
    · Reply · Share
  • sajju786sajju786 414 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 416 Member
    Hi
    · Reply · Share
  • brown2024brown2024 58 replies3 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 61 Junior Member
    Hi
    @sajju786 you are an expert on this now! First timer here - super stressed!
    · Reply · Share
  • mygrad2021mygrad2021 8 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8 New Member
    Hi, can anyone please explain the Upstate Accelerated Scholars program into SUNY Upstate’s College of Medicine? Are these only for NY residents? What are the pros and cons of each program? It's very confusing.
    · Reply · Share
  • docereworlddocereworld 1 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Newbie at this. Just started reading about all the BS/MD programs; there are sooo many..
    · Reply · Share
  • GoldenRockGoldenRock 1466 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,471 Senior Member
    edited May 26
    @purpledaisies This is the thread for all your queries and interact with other students / parents who will be applying in the coming cycle. Pasting your post here.

Unless you try, you never know the outcome. Test scores alone is not the criteria for admission. He should start focusing on the main college essay and also the secondary essays prepare for interview etc.,

My kid is about to complete jr year. Should we be even applying for BSMD with below. I think another attempt at SAT might help. Please advise!

Weighted GPA: 4.25
    Unweighted GPA: 3.97

SAT: 1500
    ACT: 34

Slated to complete IB Diploma with IB Math, IB Bio, IB Chem, IB French and other courses.

Research Internship- 6 months+ in Hospital.
    President in Leadership
    NASA RockOn project
    20+ hrs of job Shadowing exp
    100+ hours of Volunteering experince with Tutoring+OFB
    edited May 26
    · Reply · Share
  • purpledaisiespurpledaisies 3 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Thank you @GoldenRock .
    · Reply · Share
  • kybronkybron 22 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 23 Junior Member
    Message me with any questions. I am two years into my program and I have seen both sides of admissions.
    · Reply · Share
  • grtd2010grtd2010 792 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 797 Member
    edited May 27
    @purpledaisies If you are an ORM (read Asian including Indian), your SAT score is low. Please take subject SATs ( Biology, Chemistry,Math) if you have not already done. Apply widely and do not expect much. All you need is ONE acceptance.
    edited May 27
    · Reply · Share
    @purpledaisies
    ACT = 34 is good enough.
    No need to re-take SAT.
    Just submit your ACT scores.

· Reply · Share
  • sajju786sajju786 414 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 416 Member
    @brown2024 we go through this stress applying....lol.
    If we can help anyways here let us know....
    · Reply · Share
  • ghytu12ghytu12 2 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2 New Member
    My son is in junior year and his unweighted GPA is 3.7. Can anyone please advise the options for BS/MD programs with this GPA. Thank you.
    · Reply · Share
  • purpledaisiespurpledaisies 3 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4 New Member
    @grtd2010, how does being ORM matter? shouldnt they be looking irrespective of who that is? Or since most applicants are ORM, does it get more competitive and hence more SAT?
    · Reply · Share
  • rara-avisrara-avis 4 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Hi, my daughter is a sophomore and she is taking Bio SAT II this Saturday. She is asking if there is a preference to the admission officers if she is taking ecology or molecular. She is scoring better on the ecology test. Your advice is greatly appreciated.
    · Reply · Share
    @rara-avis
    No
    Let her take ecology.
    · Reply · Share