right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
1 DAY until our COVID-19's impact on admissions webinar, tomorrow at 3:00 pm ET. REGISTER NOW and let us know what questions you have and want answered.
Check out our newest addition to the Student Lounge. Go to the "STUDENT HERE: Ask Me Anything!" and connect with fellow students who can answer your school specific questions!
Most of the decisions are in by now. Connect with fellow students and share support for those who didn't get the best news.

should I go?

l0vevikl0vevik 96 replies9 threads Junior Member
edited March 2007 in Multiple Degree Programs
Should I go to the SLU and be apart of their medical scholars program? For those who don't know, medical scholars have the advantage of honors courses and a 98% acceptance into the SLU college of medicine. Furthurmore, MCATs do not matter.

Though I did not recieve a full ride, I did recieve $16,500. Therefore a year of attendence at SLU would be ~$21,000 including tuition, board, food, books etc.
edited March 2007
25 replies
Post edited by l0vevik on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: should I go?

• hazmathazmat User Awaiting Email Confirmation 8254 replies181 threads Senior Member
    Are you selling us or yourself? You seem sold on it from what you have stated.
    · Reply · Share
  • SHS_SpartanSHS_Spartan 836 replies107 threads Member
    GO! AND DON'T REGRET IT!

Any chance to bypass the MCAT is gold....plus you get $16 grand

Congrats man, I'm jealous!
    · Reply · Share
  • l0vevikl0vevik 96 replies9 threads Junior Member
    no, im really wondering...

because if I get into stanford, brown or JHU undergrad, I don't know if I should choose that over the straight med. Some people say I should, and others don't think its worth it
    · Reply · Share
  • AceMaster33AceMaster33 80 replies0 threads Junior Member
    if you get into any one of those you should go to them, cmon bro its slu, i can understand the tough decision if its some excellent med program versus those schools, but its not worth it to go to slu over those just for the guarantee
    · Reply · Share
    is it really worth paying near 40,000 for these schools and probably only be mediocre among other students. I bet at SLU i could be top of my class
    · Reply · Share
  • madamebovarymadamebovary 1579 replies61 threads Senior Member
    or you can go to those undergrads and end up at Washington U in Saint Louis med school
    · Reply · Share
  • arpster55arpster55 131 replies8 threads Junior Member
    what about schools like northwestern and Wash U versus St. Louis university medical scholars???
    · Reply · Share
    whoa that was crazy, madamebovary. I replied like a split second after you.
    lol
    · Reply · Share
    only part i dont like about this SLU program is

"AP credit and 1-8-1-8 credit for biology, chemistry, and physics are not accepted for Medical Scholars. These courses must be taken at Saint Louis University."
    · Reply · Share
    though slu graduate school might not be totally steller, there are a good handful of people who match with barnes-jewish for residency. I really want that
    · Reply · Share
    northwestern and wash u med programs are near impossible to get in. i personally am not that smart plus, HPME kids from northwestern don't always turn out the best even though it is an amazing program. I think it has to deal with the ultra competitiveness of the students
    · Reply · Share
    What I meant is that do you feel that Northwestern or WUSTL is worth attending for undergrad (not necessarily for med school) over the St. Louis med scholars?
    · Reply · Share
  • epsilon9090epsilon9090 752 replies35 threads Member
    I would take the other schools if you are a strong student. I've been losing interest in this program as of late, especially since they didn't require and interview. That means it went totally based on my stats. I don't even know if I submitted med-school related essays or not.
    · Reply · Share
  • waterplovewaterplove 18 replies4 threads New Member
    Did you apply to any other b/md's? Your choice is a hard one but if you are sure that you want to be a doctor, why stress out w/ thousands of pre-meds later when you have this chance at SLU?
    · Reply · Share
  • hydrogen3khydrogen3k 275 replies6 threads Junior Member
    As said above, just wait and see where else you can admitted. Anyways, you've a got a great backup. Congrats.
    · Reply · Share
    i have a feeling I will get into the lehigh/drexel program. I don't know if I will get into PLME at brown.

SLU is better than lehigh/drexel right?
    · Reply · Share
  • hydrogen3khydrogen3k 275 replies6 threads Junior Member
    They're all good (no point in ranking). All have their own pros and cons. Don't worry about where you'll get in, a few simple letters in April decide that.
    · Reply · Share
  • EvilbooyaaEvilbooyaa 661 replies11 threads Member
    Personally, any program trumps any other school (programless that is). That means if I get into the Pitt program, and Harvard, I'm going to the Pitt program. Same with Temple, Drexel, and Brown (programs) over Harvard.

If you are 100% sure that you want to become a doctor and want to have a relatively relaxing undergrad. You say you're waiting for decisions from Stanford, Brown (I'm assuming undergrad as well as PLME), and JHU. I didn't even apply to JHU because of the horror stories I've heard from there, and Stanford was too far away for me.

I would rather be top of the class at a good institution than be middle of the class at an excellent institution.

As for 98% being accepted into the SLU med school, what happens to the 2% that are in the guaranteed program? The SLU program IS guaranteed right? The only reason I can imagine a 2% drop-out is if students dip below the GPA requirement, seeing as how MCATs don't matter whatsoever.
    · Reply · Share
    yah i noticed that "98 %" - so does slu still weed out some people in the program.
    anyways, if you live in saint Louis, i dont see why not go there. however, if you are from out of state, that would be a tough call.

also make sure the school matches well with you. no point in spending 6-8 years at school you dont like

ok ill make the decision for you:
    if you get in stanford or brown, drop SLU and go to stanford. otherwise forget it and go to SLU
    · Reply · Share
    yeah, i think its 98% cause some kids just suck at the interview by the medschool
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity