right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

wayne state medstart program

Replies to: wayne state medstart program

• geeksquadforevergeeksquadforever 1 replies0 threads New Member
    I'm on the waiting list as well. :(
    Does anybody know how long it will take to hear? Has anyone accepted/declined their offer?
    · Reply · Share
  • limitlesslimitless 3 replies0 threads New Member
    so, has everyone found out wsu's answer already? when did you find out?

what are the odds of getting off the waitlist?
    · Reply · Share
  • limitlesslimitless 3 replies0 threads New Member
    bump!

chances of getting off the waitlist?
    · Reply · Share
  • animefreakss4animefreakss4 188 replies5 threads Junior Member
    Anyone besides me applying? I'm a 2009 graduating senior, applying to Wayne State Medstart. If you are also applying, please state ur stats, state of residence, and race, ECs, etc.
    · Reply · Share
    Michigan resident
    Race: Indian, 1st generation immigrant (not that this would help... )
    GPA: 4.0 unweighted, i dunno weighted
    ACT: 30 but shooting for a 33
    SATI: - will take soon
    PSAT: 192
    SAT II: Math2-710 Bio-770
    I've taken AP Bio(5) and AP Calc(5) as a junior, i'll be a senior soon and will take AP Chem, dual enroll in Calc II and III and also take AP History.

Health experience: Physician shadowing (100+)
    Nursing home (100+)
    Emergency Room (50+)
    Medical Research (250 +)
    Volunteering: Big Brother once a week(50+), Hindu Temple (50+)
    Freshman tutor (plan to be next year)
    EC's: NHS, Chess club
    Job Experience: Kumon; tutoring kids in math and reading. 12 hrs a week.
    · Reply · Share
    Anybody going to apply soon?
    · Reply · Share
  • paki786paki786 768 replies94 threads Member
    anime freaks....... where do u find physician shadowing and medical research??
    I am class of 2010 so i got like one more year. please help me if u can.
    · Reply · Share
  • zzzboyzzzboy 1135 replies7 threads Senior Member
    physician shadowing: call random doctors, find free clinics in your area and ask to volunteer, ask your family friends that are doctors

research: not as sure about it but i think you can try emailing professors at a nearby college. go to a specific department, find the professors in that department, look at their research, and send a cover letter to the profs whose research you are interested in.

i would imagine that college students would be picked over you, though, so it might be difficult. maybe your school has some program or something.
    · Reply · Share
  • Mango ManMango Man 160 replies8 threads Junior Member
    Anime Freaks -

Your scores are good but the lack of EC's, leadership roles, and sports will effect you.
    · Reply · Share
    For research and shadowing, i directly contacted doctors and the research department of a nearby hospital.

@Mango Man- I heard that MedStart adcoms look more closely at ur volunteering and passion for medicine over commonly held ECs such as sports.
    · Reply · Share
    Its good to have both ;)
    · Reply · Share
    I am hoping they will understand the difficulty in maintaining my volunteering activities, and hopefully will understand that it would be almost impossible to participate in a sport also, while keeping a 4.0 with tough classes, and a job. Well, all i know is that i never slacked off even for a second, and that i have had absolutely no room in my schedule to play a sport. But, i do agree with you that having both on your application would look good.
    · Reply · Share
  • LuckyCat728LuckyCat728 3 replies1 threads New Member
    I'm also a 2009 Applicant for the Medstart program, Can anyone tell me if my stats are competitive?

Asian~ ^^
    GPA - 3.95 Unweighted
    ACT: 36
    SATI: - 2380
    PSAT: 145
    SAT II: Chem - 790 Bio-800
    I've been taking 6 IB classes from when I was a Junior, I go to the International Academy which was ranked in the top 10 public schools over the last few years (#1 in 2004).

Health experience:
    Physician shadowing - 50 hours
    Anesthesia tech (Operating room) - 100 Hours
    Medical Research for Cardio-Arrhythmia Austin Cardiovascular in Texas over. Spent my summer for 2 years - 200 hours. (I achieved publication for my Medical Research)

Non-Medical Volunteering: Spanish and Biology Tutor.

EC's: NHS, Spanish Honors Society, Asian Student Association, Urban Culture Club, Science Olympiad, Biology Olympiad, Ultimate Frisbee Organization, Piano Competitions, Piano (12 years), Trombone (6 years) and Violin (5 years), Was in a Ska band for 3 years produced CDs and Merchandise. Leading Physicians of America "club". Been Break-dancing 5 years, Played piano for a Vietnamese Church choir for 4 years.

Leadership -
    President of Urban Culture Club
    Board of directors for Leading Physicians of America "Club"

Jobs - Piano Teacher

....Not to mention, I have two Wayne State Med Alumni Cardiologist cousins that have... "sway". BWAHAHA!
    · Reply · Share
    You'll get in.
    That 36 is very impressive! :D

Guys, how exactly do you organize your volunteer schedules? Like me you probably have a really busy life, especially once school starts. Do you just pick out a random day in the week and volunteer for two hours then?
    · Reply · Share
    Can anyone please tell me what the Wayne State campus is like, and how the people that go there are :)

Thanks.
    · Reply · Share
    @Mango Man- It is in the heart of detroit. Campus is ok. Surroundings of campus, not to safe or good. Right next to DMC, so good for premeds. Of course on campus its safe, but off it is definitely not the safest area to be.
    · Reply · Share
    Skalucard, ur stats are near perfect. How did you go froma 145 on PSAT to such a high SAT score?
    Anyway Medstart isnt for you. U should apply to Northwestern HPME or Brown's direct med program. Aim for higher programs and even 6 year programs at more prestigious colleges. With your stats u are an automatic in for the program, you should be aiming way higher, or should go for the ivies.
    · Reply · Share
  • LuckyCat728LuckyCat728 3 replies1 threads New Member
    Well yeah that's what i wanted, but I need to stay near home and take care of the family, so Wayne is the best choice.
    · Reply · Share
  • JackgnikcJackgnikc 21 replies0 threads New Member
    Hello there pre-pre-meds. I'm a med student at Wayne, and I also went to undergrad there. If you guys have any questions lemme know.
    · Reply · Share
    @Skalucard- I understand, in that case you do not have to worry about a thing. You will get into the program and you will fly through it with ease. But consider this, the "guaranteed seat" only is reserved if you get like a 32 i think on the MCAT (or 30) which is still hard to get, so many medstart kids end up studying like any other premeds. So the only think special about Medstart is the full ride. And considering your stats you can get a full ride at MSU for sure, which is better than Wayne State. You may even get a full ride at U of M. There are better choices for you even in the State.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity