Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

wayne state medstart program

Replies to: wayne state medstart program

• animefreakss4animefreakss4 Registered User Posts: 193 Junior Member
    @Mango Man- It is in the heart of detroit. Campus is ok. Surroundings of campus, not to safe or good. Right next to DMC, so good for premeds. Of course on campus its safe, but off it is definitely not the safest area to be.
    Skalucard, ur stats are near perfect. How did you go froma 145 on PSAT to such a high SAT score?
    Anyway Medstart isnt for you. U should apply to Northwestern HPME or Brown's direct med program. Aim for higher programs and even 6 year programs at more prestigious colleges. With your stats u are an automatic in for the program, you should be aiming way higher, or should go for the ivies.
  • LuckyCat728LuckyCat728 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Well yeah that's what i wanted, but I need to stay near home and take care of the family, so Wayne is the best choice.
  • JackgnikcJackgnikc Registered User Posts: 21 New Member
    Hello there pre-pre-meds. I'm a med student at Wayne, and I also went to undergrad there. If you guys have any questions lemme know.
    @Skalucard- I understand, in that case you do not have to worry about a thing. You will get into the program and you will fly through it with ease. But consider this, the "guaranteed seat" only is reserved if you get like a 32 i think on the MCAT (or 30) which is still hard to get, so many medstart kids end up studying like any other premeds. So the only think special about Medstart is the full ride. And considering your stats you can get a full ride at MSU for sure, which is better than Wayne State. You may even get a full ride at U of M. There are better choices for you even in the State.
    @Jackgnikc- thank you, i will be sure to contact you for any help or advice. By the way, were you in Medstart, or did you take the traditional route?
    Actually WSU's med school is stronger than the one at MSU. When I applied to undergrad the medstart program was not yet in existance. Don't believe what you read in all of these rankings, WSU-SOM is definitely very well respected. They actually don't submit to the US news rankings, which is why they aren't on them.
    Wow, thats nice information there. But you have to agree that MSU undergraduate is better than WSUs undergraduate program. Well, thats just my guess based on observation and from talking to people. What you say may very well be true, I have heard people talking highly of WSUs med school.
    MSU's undergrad is certainly more well-known, and it is a very strong school, I agree. However, people tend to discount WSU because they don't have a football team, and so they aren't as visible nationally. To be honest, the opportunities at WSU are enormous, even as an undergrad. Go into this with an open mind, and don't let lists detract from how good a school really is. I got so much out of my undergrad experience, and I honestly wouldn't trade it for anything. It shaped my view on a lot of things, because I immersed myself in the opportunities. The thing with Wayne is that the people who just drive to class and drive home don't get anything out of it, and that is their own fault. You wouldn't get anything out of any other school, no matter how highly ranked, if you approach it with a commuter mentality. So if you do end up at Wayne State, take advantage of everything it has to offer. If you need to know anything at all about the school, the area, the professors, or how to get into med school, let me know.
  • Mango ManMango Man Registered User Posts: 168 Junior Member
    Hey guys, my GPA has taken a hit this semester and I got a few B's. The best GPA I can get now (unweighted) is a 3.9, but I have very very good EC's, should have a ~33 (hopefully higher) Act. Will it hurt me at all? I am depressed because it is my life ambition to get into medstart and become a doctor, and I don't want to let a test in 10th grade stop that.
  • pumpernickel123pumpernickel123 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    Hey, I was wondering what xactly is the group interview, how does it go?
    Bump! The interview is tommorow... any advice???
  • soccer1269soccer1269 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    mango man, stop worrying.......3.9 gpa is still amazing hah good job
  • LuckyCat728LuckyCat728 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    I didn't make 2nd interview :(
    did u get an email or a call? i got neither so i am worried
This discussion has been closed.