Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

wayne state medstart program

paki786paki786 Registered User Posts: 862 Member
ok so im a sophomore in high school
gpa around 4.0 somewhere there
taking AP us history right now
involved in some e.cs like:
-quiz bowl, student council (freshman), spanish honors society, hosa, chess club, district chess club, chess tournament 5 time winner, volunteer at hospital

so can u guys give me advice on the types of classes/extra curriculars/ skills that are recommended for this program...i really want to get in once im in college
Post edited by paki786 on

Replies to: wayne state medstart program

• paki786paki786 Registered User Posts: 862 Member
    its too early for me actually
    use this just as a disscussion
  • Central PerkyCentral Perky Registered User Posts: 918 Member
    No, it's okay. There are some things you can start.

Classes: Honors, APs, most rigorous available, but WITHIN YOUR ABILITIES (don't overload!!!)

EC: Really anything that interests you. Don't do anything just for the sake of your application. However, you NEED medical-related EC. This includes hospital volunteering (which you're doing...good!), shadowing doctors, research, etc. Leadership EC are good (i.e. student council, which you're in), any other community service is nice, but keep it consistent...don't make a laundry list of it (think: longevity, commitment)

You're going to need a good ACT (or SAT) score. Anecdotally, I know someone who got in with a 4.0uw/28, but that is only one person. Aim for 32+ for the ACT. You DON'T need to prepare right now...summer going into junior year is a good time. Also, you're going to have to do an interview, but prep for that when it comes.

There's some more info here.
  • Miamigirl7Miamigirl7 Registered User Posts: 22 New Member
    does anyone know when people are invited for interviews for the wayne state bs/md program? about how many people are invited to interview? thanks
  • SacKingsSacKings Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    can anybody who got an interview to MedStart post their stats? thanks :)
  • starrymoodstarrymood Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    lol
    i got both the rejection letter and the interview invite
    me too starrymood. the rejection letter was a mistake. lol
  • blackpen2008blackpen2008 Registered User Posts: 1,362 Senior Member
    ditto
    I don't know what to expect, especially for the group interviews.
    SacKings
    Just know that anyone who got an interview had at least a 28+ and prolly a 3.80+.
    I think that the first cut is just based on academic credentials, but you never know because of the number of applications received (249). I also think that a lot of people just applied for fun because there is no application fee and only a one page required essay too.
  • PdotaPdota Registered User Posts: 22 New Member
    what are your guys stats? i got rejected, and not to be cocky but i thought id get an interview here, i had a 31, 3.983 uw gpa with many extra curricalrs and a good essay
    hey blackpenn2008, i got an interview for medstart. i have a phone interview first becuz i am from cali. do u have a phone interview first? thnaks for the reply, and congrats on the interview!
    no phone interview for me... (i live about 40 minutes away). the first interview is the group and the second (in march) is the one on one.
    Is anyone here willing to post any stats (if you got in the 50)? I know that some might not want to for obvious reasons, but is there anyone out there that would be willing?
  • google223google223 Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    i got an interview aswell
  • paki786paki786 Registered User Posts: 862 Member
    Can you guys post your stats? all those who got an interview etc.
  • google223google223 Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    4.0 GPA, 30+ACT, not a lot of EC's but I spent A LOT of time in the ones that i had. solid recs. lots of hospital volunteer hours, job shadowing, etc. , summer stuff
This discussion has been closed.