Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

SBU/GWUSM vs VCU

2»

Replies to: SBU/GWUSM vs VCU

• d3siliciousd3silicious Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
    VCU is ranked 66 and GW is ranked 87 according to http://www.studentdoc.com/med-ranks
  • darealfoodarealfoo Registered User Posts: 67 Junior Member
    tru, both schools have MCAT scores of 10 in each section (average), GWU has an average gpa of 3.6 and vcu 3.55...honestly, i think schools within the range are all the same...
  • GoBroncos00GoBroncos00 Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    VCU and GW are drastically different in their approach to medicine.
    VCU offers you research and clinical opportunities, whereas GW focuses all on the clinical aspects of being a doctor. Not to mention VCU has this new initiative to dedicate more money to medical research--pretty exciting to be headed there if thats where you choose.

I suppose its all about opportunity. If ur sure you wanna be a clinician, then GW is OK. But VCU is just as good and offers you more options--MD, MD/PhD. Plus, im pretty sure VCU tuition is cheaper, lol.

**I was also considering GW and VCU. I'm going away from the SBU/GW program because i wanted to do research, which is nonexistent at both places.
    i agree GoBroncos, but GW does have close ties with NIH, etc. I really like GW's clinical approach to medicine. The fact that the hospital's 6th floor is dedicated to med students and that GW med students start clinical rotations (on annies) their first year of med school is great. VCU is def. cheaper b/c i believe it is a public medical school (sry if I'm wrong.)
  • KrishtheFishKrishtheFish Registered User Posts: 79 Junior Member
    yeah my bro is in the VCU GMed program, and their dorms are amazing. In fact, i'll be visiting there next thursday through sunday (spring break :) )

my brother loves being a GMed, they have a really awesome tight-knit group and the prog itself is really chill. Plus MCV is an amazing med school.
  • himandude555himandude555 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    how come I've heard so much good things about GW, but its medical school is ranked so low in the medical school rankings?
  • jashbelajashbela Registered User Posts: 281 Junior Member
    because ranking is based on research grants and projects. It doesn't make difference which school you graduate from if you just want to be a good doctor.You should go to school which is least expensive.
    I heard that GWU is only developing its research opportunities, hence its low ranking. However, its a great program for its focus on clinicals.
  • lnguye02lnguye02 Registered User Posts: 175 Junior Member
    To Those Who Got Accepted,

Please share your stats as the followings:
    State of residency
    SAT1
    ACT
    SAT2
    AP
    HS Rank
    Essay, Recommendation letters, Interview
    ECs
    List of BA/BS-MD program that you applied