Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Doctor or Dentist

Replies to: Doctor or Dentist

• me2008me2008 Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    This is a very valid question.

Both dental and medicine are very well reputed, respected and paying professions. Analyze the plus points of both the options:
    Dental: Minimum stress, good lifestyle, direct program
    Medicine: Save lives, respected, directed program.

Now, the question is what do you want in life-- do you want to work to make money ( dental) or do you want to work to make an impact(med). I am not saying that you cant make an impact with dental, its just you can make more of an impact with med.

Information is wealth. Learn as much as you can about both the programs. The more you learn, the more informend decision you can make.
    What is the DO program? How does that compare with general medicine- do they have the same curriculum? how do the work loads compare? Salaries?

How do you like the college lifestyle. I recommend spending the night at the college and get a feal for the environment.

Lastly, it will be unwise for anyone to push you into a career that you do not like or unsure about. The direct programs are were limited for a reason- not many highschoolers can career path. A career define your entire life. Remeber the enormity of the situaiton but at the same time have the confidence in yourself to make the right choice.
    Good luck!
  • xcrunner18xcrunner18 Registered User Posts: 246 Junior Member
    I think Norcalguy's post was not meant as an insult.

Essentially, these combined programs are for students who are 110% sure that they want to become a doctor. In applying to both DO and DDS programs, you are telling us that you aren't entirely sure if you wish to become a doctor or a dentist. Students with that mindset aren't meant for combined/accelerated programs. These students are meant to go to a regular undergrad, and then use their time there to decide.
  • FutureDr08FutureDr08 User Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 237 Junior Member
    ok well no one may not be jealous, but it's just a simple question I posted and was wondering about the pros/cons about either careers, people seem to go crazy and have a riot when it's not that big of a deal

they are like "oh you shouldnt ask that, its forbidden because you HAVE to know what you want to do right now and you cant have back up plans"

well I dont really care, this is kind of stupid to argue or talk about, lol seriously

and I have heard a lot or enough u can say about the oh a combined program takes away all you can do in college because it doesnt do that and we all know that well some programs maybe but other programs enhance college by providing mentoring relationships, clinical experience, and great programs...

well have a good week people!
  • FutureDr08FutureDr08 User Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 237 Junior Member
    thank u Me2008 for answering my question!!! :)
  • norcalguynorcalguy Registered User Posts: 7,548 Senior Member
    people are over-analyzing statements and not answering the question asked...

You asked which of these programs you should go to. I answered the question...neither. I don't see how my answer can be more direct than that.

And people wonder why I don't like combined programs.
    well I appreciate your opinion, but I don't personally like that mindset, but your view does have it's reasons..I suppose but I bet 80% of these multiple degree posters will disagree with you since their heart is set on a bs/md program and they will be disappointed if they don't get into one of them.

so which med school u going to?
  • jon62690jon62690 Registered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
    I am 100% sure I want to be a dentist (I've been in so many interships and what not) - I applied to UOPs combined dental programs, but my dilemma is choosing which program:

5 year (no bachelors)
    6 year (bachelors in bio or chem)
    7 year (bachelors in anything)
  • lilshamzlilshamz Registered User Posts: 188 Junior Member
    ironic how "futuredr" is questioning which field to pursue . . .
  • ppenguin757ppenguin757 Registered User Posts: 434 Member
    I just think this question should have been asked before you applied to two completely separate programs. Like xcrunner said, that's what undergraduate is for: to decide what you want to do with your life. I think you see from me2008's post that they are two COMPLETELY separate fields. And yes, I do agree with me 2008 in the sense that this is a valid question...but not for someone who applied to these programs because the intention is that we all know what we want to do; there is no "backup" plan for us.
    well I don't care that I applied to both programs because if I still think dentistry can be a decent career and all you people are acting like DOCTOR, DOCTOR, THAT'S ALL A PERSON CAN BE, well not really

and lilshamz is ironically, a loser:) lol
  • johnstoopsjohnstoops Registered User Posts: 209 Junior Member
    For what its worth, I also think its kind of retarded that you applied to a combined dentistry and combined medicine program and then are asking people on forums about them, thinking someone may sway your opinion one way or another.
    Sure, dentistry can be a great profession and some people may love being dentists.....but why would you apply to combined programs for both? Combined programs are usually for people are dead set on one profession or another.
    OKAY FOR THE 10TH DAMN TIME, I KNOW WHAT TO DO SOMETHING IN HEALTH CARE, AND I SHADOWED A DOC/DENTIST AND LIKED BOTH CAREERS AND THEY ARE BOTH SO DIFFERENT YET THE DIAGNOSIS/TREATMENT ASPECT I LIKE IN BOTH...

and I know a lot of other people that applied to both combined degree programs and NO ONE STRAIGHT OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL IS DEAD SET ON MEDICINE, BECAUSE THEY DON'T KNOW EVERYTHING RIGHT NOW AS I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT COLLEGE CHANGES EVERYTHING!!!
    so all you anxious premeds out there, NOT ALL OF YOU ARE GONNA BE DOCTORS EVEN IF YOU THINK YOU ARE SMART ENOUGH OR YOUR HEART IS DEAD SET ON IT, BECAUSE COLLEGE LIFE, CLASSES, INTERESTS, RESEARCH MAY LEAD YOU TO GET A PHD, become a teacher, or anything else....

***EVERYONE: IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING KIND TO SAY, THEN DON'T LEAVE YOUR WISE ASS REMARKS BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT APPRECIATED***

THANK YOU:)
  • bluedevilmikebluedevilmike Registered User Posts: 11,964 Senior Member
    all you people are acting like DOCTOR, DOCTOR, THAT'S ALL A PERSON CAN BE
    I don't think anybody has said this.
    well I bet mostly 80% of the people on this forum want to be doctors AND mostly everyone here is talking about BS/MD programs so....

you kind of get the feeling MOSTLY everyone wants to be a doctor, which isn't a bad thing, but I just wonder if anyone wants to do anything else?
This discussion has been closed.