Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

***Fall 2008-Where are people going? Students choosing BS/DO programs???

FutureDr08FutureDr08 User Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 237 Junior Member
edited March 2009 in Multiple Degree Programs
Hey I'm just curious if anyone is choosing and accepting a BS/DO program for next fall and college/med school?

I know there are several programs nationwide and was wondering if anyone is doing these programs because I am and people have been saying it's not as that competitive to get into a DO school the traditional way?

So if you are doing a BS/DO program please state the following:

*School/Med School program-location
*requirements to stay in the program-MCAT/GPA
*Number of Seats Available and interviews?
*Why you are doing it...

Thanks
Post edited by FutureDr08 on

Replies to: ***Fall 2008-Where are people going? Students choosing BS/DO programs???

• shatendershatender Registered User Posts: 83 Junior Member
    i'm not, but i recommend against it.

if you can get into a bs/do program, you can get into med (MD) school the traditional route if you dont murk up undergrad.

so why not get an md? it has more respect, more money, and more choices for residency and later in life. just my thoughts.
  • FutureDr08FutureDr08 User Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 237 Junior Member
    lol go to SDN for a more crazy debate over this.....
  • madamebovarymadamebovary Registered User Posts: 1,640 Senior Member
    ill just add to this in case someone decides to come to our school's bs/do program

Pitzer College/ Western University COMP
    location: undergrad: claremont colleges / med school at pomona
    *requirements: MCAT 24/ gpa:3.3 - they will be changing score to 27 soon since national average on mcat keep increasing
    *number of seats: 5 to 6
    *number interviewed: 10 ~this number depends on the quality of applicants
    *Why you are doing it...
    i was a neurotic highschooler and played it safe after getting rejected by 4bs/md programs; i came in thinking i probably just do internal medicine with some subspecialty, but now i'm quite interested in academic medicine and want to do something with molecular biology so im kinda conflicted now. Ill see what happens after i finish mcat.

"2008 Residency Match"
    [url=http://comp2008.****/2008/03/20/ama-match-results-are-in-blue-keep-em-coming-rockstars/]AMA Match results are in blue… (keep ‘em coming Rockstars!) COMP 08’s Match List[/url]

Anyways people grow up; that is why so many "premeds" end up not being premeds
  • FutureDr08FutureDr08 User Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 237 Junior Member
    I am most likely going to do the following program after much pondering, questioning, and driving people insane on forums, but I think it's an important decision, and I have been PM'ed by people saying thanks for the BS/DO info and I really want to do the BS/DO program at Nova, so thanks...anyways this is where I am most likely going:

*Nova Southeastern University with NSU-COM in Ft. Lauderdale, FL !!! :)
    (I can't wait to leave Chicago's crazy weather *50 inches of snow this year, which is why I can't wait for next fall and paradise:) )

*MCAT: 24 (They change the MCAT requirement to adjust to the national average of the school since 5 years ago it was 22, but in a few years I imagine it will be 26...I believe they change it every 3-5 years...)

GPA: 3.3 (You need to major in Biology, but you can minor in anything. They are strict with the GPA and if you fall below, you will go into academic program probation and risk losing your reserved seat after 1-2 semesters.)

*Number of Seats Available: 25 seats total for both 7 and 8 year BS/DO program, but they place you in which program they think you will be successful in based on interview and secondary application. For example, last year only 2 people were admitted into the 7 year program vs 15 in the 8 year program. **The program is very selective since there are 2 applications, an interview with 3 doctors, and they grill you from controversial topics in health care to finding out about your personality/interests in the interview.

*Why you are doing it...

The major reason I'm doing it is because it's like a head-start into college for me, which is the description of the program on Nova's website. Students are encouraged to learn about various subjects, get a well-rounded education, and still guaranteed a seat in the college of osteopathic medicine. Students have the option of applying out to different medical schools too, so it's not like you are stuck for college. Also, the location is great, the tuition is very affordable with the scholarships they give. Also, I love their Honors Program, extracurricular activities are amazing, and the atmosphere is good.

Also many people have told me that osteopathic medicine is bad and blah blah, there is bias, but I strongly disagree. After shadowing DO's and doing personal research, I think a DO degree is equivalent to an MD degree and I have been told DO's learn even more with extra hours in osteopathic manip. treatment. And DO's can take the USMLE instead of COMLEX if they want an allopathic residency..

All in all, I think Pitzer College and Nova have the best BS/DO programs in the nation because they have been doing it for decades, I know Nova has. But getting into the Pitzer program is more difficult since their school and osteopathic medical school is more selective. I believe Western is the hardest DO school to get into, but NSU-COM, PCOM, CCOM, NYCOM have good reputations....

*I also got accepted to BS/DO programs with NYIT/NYCOM, Gannon/PCOM, Utica College/LECOM/UNECOM....it's a great plan even though people seem to be against it....*
    also here's some info, if people want to apply next year:)

http://undergrad.nova.edu/MST/
    http://undergrad.nova.edu/MST/biology/index.cfm
    http://undergrad.nova.edu/admissions/dualadmissions.cfm

past 5 years 1st choice match rates: between 85-95%, top 5-10 DO schools
  • angad19angad19 Registered User Posts: 113 Junior Member
    Bs/md Ftw!!!!!
    um...yeah BS/MD is good but it's harder to get into and the requirements in college are so tough at some schools that students feel over-worked and super-stressed before they start medical school, and then I have heard some program students drop out because they can't handle it

but anyways...good luck lol:)
  • Collegeboy23Collegeboy23 Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    I got a question, I got into NYIT BS/DO and Suny New Paltz DO
    could anyone list the pros and cons of each and which is better?
    Thxs
    Nova's BS/DO is better than both:), BUT for your situation, I would pick Suny BECAUSE I believe it's cheaper AND may be more successful since NYIT's program has a LOW success rate with many students dropping out, then again, they take about 70, it's like REALLY easy to get into NYIT's program

so talk to the program advisors AND STUDENTS because STUDENTS in THE PROGRAM give the BEST FEEDBACK in terms of class work/professors/quality of education

good luck
  • ReadytostartcollReadytostartcoll Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Hey, for any of you who are applying to dual programs and have gotten in, could you message me with tips about the interview and such
  • Dr.FDr.F Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    i got accepted to Nova's BS/DO Program

yeeaa!!!
  • ReadytostartcollReadytostartcoll Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Congrats Dr. F are you in 3+4 or 4+4
  • Dr.FDr.F Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    3+4

have u had your interview yet??
This discussion has been closed.