Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

my chances?

tttangtttang Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
edited March 2008 in Multiple Degree Programs
Hiii, I'm a junior at an IB school and I desperately need to get into one of these programs..not just for the medical degree, but I need to prove to people that I am capable of doing things and I'm smart..so I was wondering what my chances of getting into an accelerated program were...Thank youuuuuuuu! Oh, and not just into a bs or ba/md program...a bs/do program too.

Experience:
Business: Since 2003 I have assisted my Father with various aspects of his business, including marketing, seminars, financial management activities, and clientele experience.

Science Research: In 2005 I researched the plant life at the Waterfront Education Center in Oyster Bay, NY; I participated in the Young Naturalists Competition (2005 and 2006), the High School Physics Photo Contest (2006 and 2007), Toshiba Exploravision (2006), Dupont Challenge (2006 and 2007), and Chemagination (2007). In 2007 I conducted research at SUNY Stony Brook University with Dr. Miriam Rafailovich and graduate students; I participated in the Siemens Competition (2007) and LISEF (2008). This summer I will be working at Rockefeller University conducting research in biochemistry and computer science.

Volunteer Experience:
Relay For Life (2005 – Present)
Breast Cancer Walk (2006)
Tutoring: Spanish, Biology, Chemistry, and Math (2005 – Present)
St. Christopher’s Orphanage: Painted rooms (2006)
Gurdwara Mata Sahib Kaur (Sikh Temple): Cooking and serving food (2005 – Present)
Matthew Fetzer Toy Drive (2006 – 2007)

Achievements:
MIP Girls Varsity Tennis (2006)
3rd place Feature Story in the 16th Annual North Shore Young Authors’ Conference (2007)
School Service Award (2007)
High Honor Roll (2005 – Present)

Activities:
Piano Lessons (1998 – Present)
Chamber Orchestra: First chair viola (2002 – Present)
Girls Varsity Tennis (2005 – Present)
Interact Club (2005 – Present)
Science Olympiads (2005 – Present)
Foreign Language Honor Society (2005 – Present)
Mathletes (2007 – Present)
Spectrum – School Newspaper: Staff writer (2005 – 2006), Assistant Feature Editor (2006 – 2007), Co-Feature Editor (2007 – Present)
IB Leadership Group (2007 – Present)
Hindi Class (2007 – Present)
National Honor Society (2007 – Present)

Interests:
Tennis, reading, playing the piano and the viola, science, math, and writing.

Languages:
English is my first language; I am able to speak, read, and write in both Hindi and Spanish.

I'm not sure of my exact GPA but I know it's definitely between a 3.7 - 4.0 unweighted...weighted it will definitely be over 4.0
SAT I: 1980/2400 (I know this isn't good enough, and I'm really working hard and I know I can do soo much better, and I'm going to retake them in June)
SAT II: Math IC 660 (once again, I know not great. I have no idea what happened; I studied extremely hard ...I just suck at standardized tests) I'm taking the Bio and Math IIC in June..hopefully I will do well..
ACT: taking it in June and I think I will do well..
Post edited by tttang on

Replies to: my chances?

• tttangtttang Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    oh, and I'm doing full IB Diploma, and I'm doing REALLY well in all of my classes
    TOK, IB Math HL, IB History of the Americas HL, IB Spanish SL, IB English HL, IB Bio HL (and IB Physics SL next year)
    and i got a 4 on my AP World History test

I'm really hoping that my extracurriculars will help me out ... I work extremely hard and I am smart, and I will do whatever it takes..
  • illinois187illinois187 Registered User Posts: 106 Junior Member
    stats stats stats. Standardized tests are extremely important for most programs. Improve your scores and you increase your chances greatly.
  • bluedevilmikebluedevilmike Registered User Posts: 11,964 Senior Member
    I need to prove to people that I am capable of doing things and I'm smart
    ... always a good reason to enter medicine.
  • ppenguin757ppenguin757 Registered User Posts: 434 Member
    Also, make sure you take the Chemistry SAT II. Some schools require it. And loosen up on yourself a little bit! A lot of these applications need you to show your drive to want to become a doctor, but also your personality and the depth behind it. Take this time to reflect as to why you want to be a doctor, not necessarily approach it from the angle that you need to prove to people that you're smart and can do stuff. And even if you don't get into a program, that doesn't mean that you're not smart and can't do stuff, so don't let this stress you out and make it the bane of your existence, lol. Senior year has to be some fun :).
  • supersamsupersam Registered User Posts: 87 Junior Member
    Take alot of SATIIs, stanardized tests are important. You seem pretty well rounded and with your extensive research I think you'd be a good fit for RPI/AMC's 7year program. Summer at Stony-- Garcia? You have alot of activites, but what are your Leadership positions? How about President/VP of some of these clubs? You don't need to get into any of these programs to prove anything to anyone, do it for yourself if anything. Try to get some more medical related extracirrulars-- volunteering routinely at a hospital. You participated in alot of these contests-- did you win any of them? Honestly, some of them are just one page papers that you submit in the mail but some of them are extensive research projects as well. Someone reading your application may look at it from either direction. You look good on paper, but don't forget acceptance into alot of these programs is based on interviews. If you relay this message "I desperately need to get into one of these programs..not just for the medical degree, but I need to prove to people that I am capable of doing things and I'm smart" to whoever is interviewing you, then you'll definately get rejected. Make sure you know why you're getting into this.

Sam
  • ppenguin757ppenguin757 Registered User Posts: 434 Member
    That's true, leadership and winning things are key. It's ok to have participated, but you need to stand out in one way or another. I think they're looking that you've been able to direct your passion one way or another in high school because, well, you are committing the rest of your life to medicine with these programs.
  • supersamsupersam Registered User Posts: 87 Junior Member
    and i'm from li too, i bet i could guess who you are in 2 tries or less =p. loosen up, have a little bit if fun while you still can. I certainly had my fair share of partying and slacking and i got into a whole slew of programs. if you have any questions feel free to pm me
  • tttangtttang Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    thank youuu very much for taking the time to read my stuff and respond...about the proving to people stuff, the only person i need to prove anything to is my dad; he thinks i'm stupid, and i can't be a doctor, and he's trying to discourage me from becoming one. but i've always wanted to be a doctor, ever since i was a little girl; a doctor is the only thing i can see myself as, and i really want to help people, especially those who are less fortunate..i know it didn't seem like i was interested in the real aspects of being a doctor in my post, but i really am...i just want to help people live a longer and healthier life..
    i know i definitely have to raise my sats ..and i'm taking bio, math 2c, and possible another one in june..and i'm taking the sat I in may again...ahh i just hope i do well!!
  • KrishtheFishKrishtheFish Registered User Posts: 79 Junior Member
    if you know you want to be a doctor, then that should be enough for anyone. Just work on your test scores (and note that scores aren't everything), and make sure you can show the adcoms your passion for becoming a doctor both in your essays and in your ECs. It'll help mucho.
  • bluedevilmikebluedevilmike Registered User Posts: 11,964 Senior Member
    The vast majority of eventual physicians go through this the normal way. There's no need to demonstrate desperation to get into one of these programs.
  • madamebovarymadamebovary Registered User Posts: 1,640 Senior Member
    score will need to go up to the 2100+ range typically
    i think some of them have some type of verbal requirement like the albany ones.
    but i think for bs/do programs you should be set to get an interview

but awesome E.C.
    especially with that research
  • darealfoodarealfoo Registered User Posts: 67 Junior Member
    SATs are not the only factor people...i know someone who got into many programs with a 2050 SAT and 32 ACT OOS...make sure you have good ECs and you'll be fine. I just made a 2100 and 33 ACT (720 bio, under 700 chem SAT II) and got into lots of programs...set ur priorities straight and try your best...most of all, do things b/c u want to and you're sure about it, not to prove yourself in front of others
  • mirsad05mirsad05 Registered User Posts: 71 Junior Member
    tttang, if you don't mind me asking, what do you think of the IB program? My high school is going to start offering IB classes for the first time next year. I plan on trying to get the IB Diploma. I am going to take IB History of the Americas HL, IB English HL, IB Visual Arts, IB Math SL, IB Spanish SL, probably IB Biology HL (the other option is IB Chemistry HL), and TOK. Any info. regarding IB would be helpful.

By the way your stats are pretty good. They are a lot better than mine.
This discussion has been closed.