Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

For those of you already in a guaranteed program...

Replies to: For those of you already in a guaranteed program...

• MiamiDAPMiamiDAP Registered User Posts: 16,184 Senior Member
    Inguye02,
    If your son is going to engineering, the more math he has, the better. I believe, there is no special requirements for Bioeng/MD at UT. It looks like your son is already very comfortable with math. However, this program is accelerated (although it is 4+4). It is accelerated since undergrad portion is coop, which is normally taking 5 years. In a program, they push it a little to complete in 4. I believe that in any engineering math is the most important subject. The more math your son has, the better for him. I personally was very impressed with this program. I highly recommend to go to Engineering information session that they invite you when you are accepted to Engineering college.
  • SpaceJamSpaceJam Registered User Posts: 83 Junior Member
    I have a similar question, that pertains to my case.

I am in my junior yr but because of problems with counselor scheduling, I was not able to take AP chem or AP bio (not because of my grades, it was a counselor thing). I kno this will hurt me when applying to accelerated programs but IDK what to do. I took a credit chem course over the summer, and i want to take the chem II subject test to redeem myself a bit since i dont have any ap sciences b4 senior yr (when i take ap bio).

Do i still have a shot, considering i have the way above average grades, scores, etc..?

Also, should I take chem at a community college to help me on the subject test?
  • GoBroncos00GoBroncos00 Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    all of the better known/more prestigious progs require sat IIs. NU HPME requires it, other progs require a mix of math, bio and chem (u'll have to check urself). ur lack of top level classes will slightly hurt your application, but u can offset this by a great essay and solid medicine related activities. its a total crapshoot neways, so u might as well try and u might just get lucky. the best resource is the current MSAR book. it has all the combined progs listed with data and reqs.
  • SpaceJamSpaceJam Registered User Posts: 83 Junior Member
    lol, i take it your not too fond of the program admissions?

thanks for the advice!
  • az1698az1698 Registered User Posts: 1,900 Senior Member
    Whats the MSAR book
  • HarshatejaHarshateja Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    The SAT II subject tests, for the most part (possibly with the exception of English) are much easier than their counterpart AP exams. To study for it, I suggest just buying Barron's prep for SATII Chem (Not princeton review - its nice but having not taken the class, its too concise when what you need is thoroughness).
  • angad19angad19 Registered User Posts: 113 Junior Member
    FutureDr08 mentioned that you have to take AP Physics along with AP bio and AP chem.

I really don't believe this is true, because I took AP/IB Bio, IB Chem, and regular Physics, and I still got into the programs I wanted to get into.

Physics has absolutely NOTHING to do with med, so basically, they want to see that you can take hard classes (physics being a hard class), so if you can substitute that out with another challenging course, you should be fine. Of couse, some programs require you to take a physics (HPME in my case) at which point you can cop out like I did and just take regular Physics =P.

Same thing with Calculus. It has Nothing to do with med, but they want to see that you can take and handle hard classes (calc being hard, advanced math). There, it is hard to cop out, because math is math. You can't sub. it out.
  • madamebovarymadamebovary Registered User Posts: 1,640 Senior Member
    i think #1 priority is to do ap/ib bio and ap/ib chem
    true i dont think you necessarily need ap physics but it's just much more beneficial if you have all these sciences down before you enter college
    What about Calculus? How many classes do you need if your in a BA/BS/MD Program? If I took ap Calc ab, would I have to take any calc classes in college?
    you would HAVE to take calc in college, because it is a premed class. I took a full summer of calc at a community college just to satisfy the entrance requirements for NW HPME and i'll still have to take it again in college, because I need it for premed.
    ^It depends what medical school you are planning to apply. Only very top require more Calc than AP Calc in HS. If you had AP Calc in high school, than you can just take Statistics in college and that would be enough unless you are planning to apply to Harvard and such for Med. school. That is according to pre-med advisor in college. Calc has nothing to do with medicine, it is only to test your reasonning ability. However, if you are planning to go to engineering as undergrad, the more Calc you have in HS, the better.
    Which calc is recommended?
    take a FULL YEAR of any calc (not buisness calc tho). AB, BC, community college calc... it doesnt matter... as long as its legit. calc.
    ^Agree. One year of any AP calc in HS is enough for pre-med in general, unless you have some special reguirements for specific program.
    So AP CALC Ab would do i guess
This discussion has been closed.