Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.
Visit our COVID-19 resource page.
Your College Confidential guide bot.
Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.
IMPORTANT NEWS:CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new, modern forum platform with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return by Friday, Nov. 27 at 2:00pm ET. Read more about this here!
This is just a hypothetical situation. The grade, the credentials, everything else is all real. Lets just pretend that this was the end of my junior year. Where do I stand?
Chemistry Honors (Not AP or IB) - 91
Anatomy and Physiology - 95
IB Physics SL - 95
Health (required) - 99
IB English HL I - 90
IB History of the Americas HL I - 89
IB Psychology SL - 90
IB Math HL I - 93
Gym - 95
My total average is a 93, equivalent to a 3.72 GPA.
I only have my PSAT scores from my Sophomore year, and only practice ACT scores to go by. My highest practice ACT was a 29, and my PSAT was a 210.
-Hospital Volunteering 250+ hours (did it since the 9th grade)
-Physician Shadowing (Anesthesiologist) - 100+ hours (The doctor is awesome for letting me shadow him this long so far)
-Martial Arts for 7 years. Currently hold the Junior Black Belt Rank
-Piano for 14 years
-Played at the nursing home every month for 2 hours last year.
-Played at charity recitals that my school district has held for the past 10 years. So yes, even when I could only play "Yankee Doodle", I played in it.
-Piano Guild Participant for the last 5 years. Am currently on the 5 year national roll
-NYSSMA participant for the last 5 years. Every year had a grade of "Outstanding".
-By the time I am a senior, I will be preparing, selling tickets for, and performing in my own piano concert. It will be 4 hours long. >_>
-Student of the Month
-National Junior Honor Society (junior high)
-National Honor Society
-Track and Field (Junior High)
-Concert Chorale for the past 3 years
"Will Be" Letters of Reccomendation:
-Martial Arts instructor
-Anesthesiologist I shadowed
-Hospital Volunteer Coordinator
These are all of the people who said they would write me one should I ever request it one day. I'm thinking about waiting until December to ask so they can have all the time they need *until June that is*.
BS/MD programs I want to apply to:
1) Union College with Albany Medical College (8 years)
2) George Washington University with George Washington School of Medicine (7-8 years?)
3) Howard University with Howard University College of Medicine (6 years) NOTE: Top BS/MD choice
4) Penn State University with Jefferson Medical College (6 years) NOTE: Second choice BS/MD
5) Northwestern University with the Feinburg School of Medicine (7 years)
6) Wilkes University and State University of New York Upstate Medical University (Unknown years. Can somebody fill me in on the years?)
7) University of Conneticut with the University of Conneticut School of Medicine (Couldn't find the # of years for this either.)
8) Siena College with Albany Medical College (8 years)
9) RPI with Albany Medical College (7 years)
10) Drexel University with Drexel University College of Medicine (7 years)
11) Brooklyn College with SUNY Downstate Medical Center (8 years)
12) The College of New Jersey with New Jersey Medical School (7 years)
13) University of Akron with NEOUCOM (6 years) NOTE: Third choice BS/MD
14) Indiana State University with Indiana University School of Medicine (I don't know the years for this either)
BS/DO programs I want to apply to:
1) Gannon University with PCOM (7 years) NOTE: Top BS/DO choice
2) NYiT with NYCOM (7 years)
3) SUNY New Paltz with NYCOM (7 years)
-Now, the amount of programs I am applying to may seem a bit on the heavy side, but I really do want to be a doctor (particularly an Anesthesiologist or Neurosurgeon), M.D. or D.O. regardless. Please chance me.