Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Who is applying this year (CLASS of 2010)

Replies to: Who is applying this year (CLASS of 2010)

• doctor2bdoctor2b Registered User Posts: 154 Junior Member
    for which programs don't you have to do research/community service/shadowing and things like that as an undergrad? i know for penn state you dont have to, but you do for umkc and gw. so, anyone have an idea for others? (hpme, plme, boston, rems, etc.)
  • riapalriapal Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    Hi guys, it looks like we're applying to a lot of the same programs.

I applied to HPME, PLME, GWU/GWU/SBU/GWU, Rice/Baylor, Drew/UMDNJ, Rochester, Pitt GAP, USC, RPI/AMC for combined programs.

SAT: 2350 (800 CR, 750 M, 800 W)
    ACT: 35
    SAT IIs: 800 Bio M, 800 Math II, 800 Chemistry
    GPA: 4.000 UW, 4.490 W
    APS:
    English Lang (5), Calc AB (5), Chemistry (5), now taking AP Stats, AP Computer Science, AP Spanish Language, AP English Lit

ECs...I don't really feel like posting, I had a chance thread a while ago with a list.

Good luck to everyone who applies!
  • fianchettofianchetto Registered User Posts: 280 Junior Member
    ripal, how is your GPA that high if you've only taken three AP classes?
    fianchetto, also includes honors classes, not just ap's.

ripal, youre going to get interviews for several programs if you have a decent number of med and nonmed EC's for sure.
    Yes, my school includes honors classes in the GPA as well. Underclassmen at my school aren't allowed to take APs unless they're bilingual (AP Spanish, for example) or extremely advanced in mathematics.

And doctor2b, thanks, I really hope so. Both of you have extremely impressive scores/transcripts; well done.
    riapal, when did u receive the AMC supplement? i havent received anything from RPI/AMC still.

how many people here are NOT Asian/Indian/Brown? just curious.
  • spartanbananasspartanbananas Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    I got my acceptance letter for NEOUCOM
    i got deferred from NEOUCOM, but im out of state.
    I got it on December 21st, and it's due tomorrow. Maybe they're doing applications in batches or something? I'm not sure.
    im still waiting on the rpi/amc program too. i got deferred from NEOUCOM, but im also out-of-state.
  • schriztoschrizto Registered User Posts: 4,099 Senior Member
    NEOUCOM is so not worth it if you're OOS.
    so NOW people decide to start posting....
    Hey doctor2b, I saw your stats in another thread and I suspect you're from NJ. If you are, why didn't you apply to UMDNJ's programs? They are probably one of the most numbers-oriented programs considering they don't even ask for an additional essay and I have seen many with similar stats (SAT, APs, research) to yours get accepted. However, I don't know how your gpa compares in terms of rank.
    schrizto, my school doesnt rank or give percentages so thats okay.

i didnt apply to any of the umdnj ones because i really dont want to go to umdnj for med school. even if i get in, i highly doubt ill go since i have a decent enough undergrad under my belt (uchicago) and am expecting to get into princeton university, considering that about 20-25 people from my school do get in each year.

rutgers/umdnj also only accepts 9/1000
    bu/umdnj is 10/40, but i wanted to apply to bu/bu, and you cant apply to both.
    tcnj or drew/umdnj id rather not do since the undergrads are super awful
    lol, I really doubt 1000 people apply to Rutgers/UMDNJ alone. My MSAR book says a little under 300 apply to UMDNJ's programs each year (any undergrad school). The Rutgers/UMDNJ one isn't that great because you have to spend your undergrad at Rutgers-Newark and not NB. TCNJ/UMDNJ is the biggest one (and my parents really wanted me to go to this program, ugh).

Cost-wise for a NJ resident they're good, I guess it depends on what someone wants out of college. There was a guy last year who went to a high school near mine who was accepted to like, everywhere and went to TCNJ/UMDNJ over all of them. You're right though, the program is overrated.
This discussion has been closed.