Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Wayne State Med Start

viny4748viny4748 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
edited December 2009 in Multiple Degree Programs
I have a 3.65 GPA with 6 APS, 32 ACT, Varsity Tennis, few school clubs, over 200 hours of hospital volunteering, and a couple one day job shadows with doctors. I also plan on getting good recs. Is gpa in freshman year and 1st semester or senior year counted? and what are my chances of at least getting to the interviews? I am a junior now.
Post edited by viny4748 on

Replies to: Wayne State Med Start

• enemyunitenemyunit Registered User Posts: 500 Member
    I applied there, waiting to hear back from them sometime in january. I have no idea how competitive their applicant pool is. WSU is in detroit though...pretty dangerous place to be. The med school is not good either, so i dont know if it's worth going there.
  • KutlessRockKutlessRock Registered User Posts: 247 Junior Member
    I am applying as well. The part of Detroit that the school is in isn't as bad as the rest of Detroit. I honestly hear of more crime on other Michigan college campuses, then WSU. I know the med school isn't as high of caliber as many of the other schools with bs/md programs, but their match list isn't too bad.

I'm not sure if I would rather go there or go the traditional route and possibly get a better choice in med schools.
  • enemyunitenemyunit Registered User Posts: 500 Member
    "I'm not sure if I would rather go there or go the traditional route and possibly get a better choice in med schools."

yeah, I'm still debating that too haha. The only kicker I see is that (I -think- this is true) the Medstart program waives your tuition for the first 4 years? So that is pretty significant. But then that brings up the question how many students are they going to accept if they're waiving tuition for all of them =P

I also think it would be nice to stay in California and not freeze in Michigan haha. If I get into a good UC...
  • KutlessRockKutlessRock Registered User Posts: 247 Junior Member
    "the Medstart program waives your tuition for the first 4 years?"

Yeah, I think that is true. I think that everyone that gets into MedStart recieves the Presidental Scholarship, which is full tuition. The Presidental Scholarship isn't just for MedStart people though, they give out a pretty good amount of them to regular candidate through their scholars day.

I think there are only 15 spots in MedStart, though. I do think I heard that it isn't binding to go to their med school and you can apply out, which would be good since it would allow a possibility of going to a different, better med school but still have a guaranteed spot in a pretty good med school. I just don't know if I want to go to Wayne State for undergrad when I have the option of some other better schools.
This discussion has been closed.