right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

RPI/AMC Pgm

extremefobextremefob 371 replies183 threads Member
edited August 2005 in Multiple Degree Programs
does renesslear polytechnic institute at albany college have an early decision program for te accelerated medical program.
edited August 2005
16 replies
Post edited by extremefob on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: RPI/AMC Pgm

• CDN_dancerCDN_dancer 2558 replies21 threads Senior Member
    It doesn't seem like you can apply early decision for the accelerated programs, since it lists a different deadline. (http://admissions.rpi.edu/update.do?artcenterkey=23&setappvar=page(1)) You could always email the admissions office and ask for confirmation.
    · Reply · Share
  • gangstagangsta 88 replies0 threads Junior Member
    I'm in the RPI/AMC program now. There is no early decision, the deadline for the RPI application is a month early. If you pass that hurdle, your application is forwarded to AMC. If you pass their initial check, you get an interivew, and if you pass that you're in or you're waitlisted/alternate. Let me know if you need any info. The program is amazing btw.
    · Reply · Share
  • extremefobextremefob 371 replies183 threads Member
    oh cool gansta!

would you happen to know the avg gpa, sat, and what kind of EC's you need to get into this program?

also, whats the social/academic atmosphere like?
    · Reply · Share
    Average gpa to get in? That means nothing since schools differ, ranks differ. SAT wise the range is 1400-1600, average when I entered was in the mid-1400's, but its been three years so it's definitely in the upper 1400's/low 1500's. ECs - volunteering, medical interest is a must, some have research, some have sports. Like any top bs/md program, gotta have something to make you stand out from the high numbers. Social atmosphere varies. Troy's not great, but the campus has enough stuff to do and Albany is 10 mins away. For a bs/md student, academics is no problem, maintaining that gpa isn't bad, very relaxed (for engineers its hard), and no MCAT. So basically I'm living it up, having a great time, and getting A's. Feel free to ask away.
    · Reply · Share
  • asbstarasbstar 83 replies29 threads Junior Member
    What did you have that made you stand out from the rest? Any suggestions for what I should do to stand out?
    · Reply · Share
    For me, I did research in hs (which is a plus cause not many people do it and RPI loves scientific research), I was also heavily involved in music. My interviews were very very relaxed and nice and I had a nice discussion with a neuroscientist and a retired cardiologist. The program is definitely worth going to. It's one of the oldest, has some very successful graduates who went to do Ph.Ds, MBAs, etc. Coming from RPI, the bs/md students are consistently (for the past three decades) at the top half, if not hogging the top 10 ranks for the class. The average USMLE score of these bs/md students is also at the least 15 points higher than AMC/national average, which says something. So getting the residencies that you want is not difficult because you're trainied from RPI to study well at AMC. You also get a headstart doing research in the sixth semester at RPI and getting to know faculty members/AMC staff/hospital. You're definitely treated well at RPI - get to register before anyone in the entire university for classes every semester so you can get ANY class that you want (which is great - pick your own schedule). You also get to meet with others in your program from all years annually at a dinner ceremony where you have speakers and AMC faculty/RPI faculty. It's alot of fun. 3 years goes by fast, that 4th that you lose in undergrad I personally don't care about. Most pre-meds I know at hopkins, etc are sick of undergrad by the time its senior year cause they worked their butt off junior year and just want to leave. In the bs/md program at RPI, maintaining that 3.4 GPA is def. easy if you did well in hs and just do normal studying. The no MCAT at all is amazing cause it frees up your summers. And there are no - or + for grading, just A, B, C, D, F so all you gotta do is shoot for that A range which is easier than you think and if you work hard when you need to, you're fine. Of course you have to study, but the thing is it's not nonstop studying so don't get me wrong. It's challenging definitely - during finals its ALL studying, but much more relaxed than the normal pre-med track or any other program where you grading is more difficult and MCAT is required. It's in the northeast also so AMC grads usually do residency in Cali, nyc, boston, that area. If you're a math/science type person, it's like an MIT, CMU, same type of environment so you'll enjoy it.
    · Reply · Share
  • cheetah786cheetah786 74 replies17 threads Junior Member
    this program is for everyone rite? it doesn't have any preferences for in state people?
    and also, i know there are three colleges: union, siena and rpi, that you can apply through. would rpi be the best one?
    · Reply · Share
    There is no preference for NY residents. Out of the three programs w/ AMC, RPI is the best, followed distantly by Union and lastly Siena. In the AMC class, all the RPI students are in the top half. The Union and Siena students usually don't have an edge because they don't train the undergrads rigorously in the sciences.
    · Reply · Share
  • coincolectrcoincolectr 73 replies20 threads Junior Member
    The research is a reallly reallly relallllllly big thing there. Thats what got me in! I ended up choosing to go to the 7 yr med program at the University of Miami (Florida) instead, but RPI has a really great program, just push that research!
    · Reply · Share
  • cheetah786cheetah786 74 replies17 threads Junior Member
    the miami program is only for florida residents rite?
    · Reply · Share
  • CDN_dancerCDN_dancer 2558 replies21 threads Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure that UMiami accepts applicants from all states/countries.
    · Reply · Share
    Nope. Last year they made it a lot more competitive and much harder to get in but it is becoming a better program than ever! I am having a wonderful time here. They now recruit nationally and even internationally! Feel free to send me a message I would be glad to chat with you!
    · Reply · Share
  • toothfairytoothfairy 89 replies20 threads Junior Member
    They dont recruit internationally - the miami program isnt open to non US citizens.
    · Reply · Share
    Thats not really what I meant, but there are people in it originally from all over the world. Just read the site!
    · Reply · Share
  • toothfairytoothfairy 89 replies20 threads Junior Member
    "Thats not really what I meant, but there are people in it originally from all over the world."

Sorry, I'm not really sure what you mean...could you clarify? On the UMiami HPME website, they specifically say that they're not open to internationals...
    Did you mean different ethnicities when you said they recruit internationally? US Citizens who are living abroad?
    · Reply · Share
    Where do you live now or where are you from?
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity