Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Opinions on U of Houston Moores School of Music for undergrad vocal

divamadivama Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
edited February 2011 in Music Major
Can anyone give me opinions on Moores School of Music in Houston? I noticed it has a new opera hall and does 4 productions a year, has low in-state tuition, and clips of their top chorale are impressive......
My D is a mezzo sop interested in opera.
Post edited by divama on

Replies to: Opinions on U of Houston Moores School of Music for undergrad vocal

• MoonmaidMoonmaid Registered User Posts: 609 Member
    I have no idea about the vocal program, but it does seem like they really have some money behind the Moores School now. My daughter is applying there for trombone and I have heard some excellent things about the orchestral program - the faculty in general seems top notch and the facilities are beautiful. I think it's a bargain and could be a wonderful option that was not really on her radar much until this fall.
  • divamadivama Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    Thanks Moonmaid. We are planning to visit. The new dorms look nice too.
  • MoonmaidMoonmaid Registered User Posts: 609 Member
    Did your daughter end up applying there? We just got back from my daughter's trombone audition at Moores, and I was very impressed with the school. She got great feedback from her audition panel, and her audition went very well. If the caliber of students auditioning is any indication, the vocal program is very strong. I heard several vocal students warming up in the practice rooms that were fantastic, and there were many vocal graduate students hanging around for auditions as well. The opera house there is an amazing performance space. If she is accepted and gets a good scholarship offer, it will be high on her list.
  • divamadivama Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    Thanks for the report! I think we will visit in April when they are performing an opera
This discussion has been closed.