Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Wishing Everyone's Sons & Daughters a Safe Trip Home!

SpiritManagerSpiritManager Registered User Posts: 2,866 Senior Member
edited December 2010 in Music Major
Here's to safe and quick uninterrupted journeys home for the holidays for everyone's children. If the old timers remember - last year a blizzard hit the weekend they were all due to return. So far I see sun on the forecast. Fingers crossed for them all.
Post edited by SpiritManager on

Replies to: Wishing Everyone's Sons & Daughters a Safe Trip Home!

• sopranomom92sopranomom92 Registered User Posts: 1,339 Senior Member
    Thanks! We haven't seen our D since August, so we really hope there are no delays. It's not sunny in Rochester.......
  • SnowflakeVTSnowflakeVT Registered User Posts: 2,494 Senior Member
    I'm hoping the storm doesn't turn into a Nor'easter between Vermont and Boston ... picking up my lovely girl on Monday. Once she finishes her last final, we get to help her move her out of her dorm at BU in order to be ready to move into apartment for Berklee in January, both in Boston. Drive safe everyone!
  • flute1298flute1298 Registered User Posts: 458 Member
    Safe travels to all. Funny for me to think (and hope) that our D will be one of the ones traveling next year. Enjoy your time with them.
  • POTO MomPOTO Mom Registered User Posts: 517 Member
    Just in case anyone is still looking for an airplane ticket. Yesterday I found a nonstop one way ticket from Cleveland to Atlanta for $74 flying Dec. 23. Who would have thought???
  • violadadvioladad Registered User Posts: 6,645 Senior Member
    Safe trip to all.
  • opera-momopera-mom Registered User Posts: 382 Member
    DD is sitting in San Fran airport right now...plane should have left 45 minutes ago...still has another 45 minutes until the new estimated departure...thankgoodness there is not any snow worries in San Fran...and we are clear here too....Must be waiting for a plane from somewhere else.
  • stradmomstradmom Registered User Posts: 4,971 Senior Member
    Aren't cell phones wonderful? We spend an intense night this week waiting to hear from D2, who had missed her flight out of Rome back to London, and her cell phone was dead. We tried and tried to contact the airport, which had shut down for the night, with no success. Later found out she camped out in an unheated hallway between terminals all alone before taking the first flight out in the morning...all this after being robbed at her hostel, passport stolen etc. I'm looking forward to getting her home this weekend...hope everyone else's kids have an easy journey!
  • glassharmonicaglassharmonica Registered User Posts: 3,351 Senior Member
    Stadmom, that sounds like a huge ordeal for your daughter! So sorry this happened to her (and to you!) Hope the passport issue gets resolved.

My D2 came home from her college a bit demoralized because of health problems-- we're trying to figure out with her if she should take a leave of absence next semester to recover or go back and try to muddle through...

D3 is still at school-- no rest for the weary until December 22! DH, D4, and I drove up to NYC on Monday to hear her orchestra conducted by the man who has been named music director of our own city's orchestra-- very exciting! And today it was reviewed in the NY Times (my daughter is visible in the photo!) http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/16/arts/music/16orchestra.html?_r=4&ref=arts She said it was the best orchestral experience of her life. Now she has to soldier through theory and piano exams.
  • SpiritManagerSpiritManager Registered User Posts: 2,866 Senior Member
    Stradmom - wow - I can imagine the anxious night. My older son has spent many a night sleeping in train stations, or outside train stations, in Europe - but, luckily, he only tells me about it afterwards! He's managed to hold onto his passport the last few years but cameras and money have certainly been stolen. I'm sure you'll be thrilled to have her back, but she'll now know she can cope with most everything.
  • ClarimomClarimom Registered User Posts: 820 Member
    Oh, Stradmom--so sorry! S1 also was robbed at hostel in Italy a few years ago--cellphone, money and camera stolen. The scary thing was that the thief (thieves?) went into the rooms of the choir members (touring Italy) while they slept--they had to reach over my sleeping son in his room to steal his possessions from next to him. I still shiver thinking of it. So glad your D is on her way home and all the best to you. We just returned from picking up S2 at airport--hooray! Looking forward to the holidays.
    glassharmonica, Sorry to hear that D2 is struggling with some health issues. I hope she finds a path to getting better over break, even if that path includes some time off. You also have D3 and D4 ... D4 is a senior now? If so I hope to read in the next few months about her acceptances.

Stradmom ... I can imagine that you will be giving your D2 a huge hug once she is physically in the same space as you very soon.
  • glassharmonicaglassharmonica Registered User Posts: 3,351 Senior Member
    SnowflakeVT, D4 is actually a junior... we're dragging this out as long as we can :D !
    Glassharmonica, Well, then keep us posted on the process and also what she does this summer. Your kids certainly have a great support system in you. cheers!
  • stradmomstradmom Registered User Posts: 4,971 Senior Member
    Thanks for the kind thoughts, everyone!

Glassharmonica, hope your D2 is on the mend quickly.
    Travel in Boston on Monday night was crazy due to snow and ice, but finally my D is back and the house is in blissful chaos and filled with piano music again. Cheers to all.
This discussion has been closed.