Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

MI State University - College of Music Question

erok723erok723 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
edited December 2010 in Music Major
Hello! This is my first time using this website, and I hope it will help!

I was "not selected for admission" to Michigan State University (3.2 unweighted GPA and 24 cumulative ACT), but I received an e-mail yesterday from the College of Music that confirmed my audition. I applied as a Choral Music Education major. I was confused when I received this e-mail, because I thought that I wouldn't be auditioning since I was academically declined from the university. I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else with MSU or other schools. Thank you for taking the time for reading this! :)
Post edited by erok723 on

Replies to: MI State University - College of Music Question

• BassDadBassDad Registered User Posts: 5,381 Senior Member
    I do not know about MSU in particular, but this sometimes happens at colleges where the music school and the admissions office operate independently. I would suggest calling the music school and telling them about the academic non-acceptance. They may well cancel your audition (and will appreciate your notifying them rather than simply not showing up), but they just might tell you to audition anyway if they are able to exert some influence with admissions on behalf of particularly talented applicants.
  • violadadvioladad Registered User Posts: 6,645 Senior Member
    I completely agree with BassDad. If you are a Michigan resident, you may want to look into the other public in state offerings. Often overlooked is Grand Valley State, with an excellent smaller program.
  • spartanoboespartanoboe Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    I'm an oboe major at MSU's College of Music, So maybe I can help...as suggested before, I would first call the College of Music office. If they allow you to audition, I definitely would because I have heard of people not getting into the university, but going ahead and auditioning and getting into the College of Music, then getting into MSU afterwards (but this was a few years ago, so that may be different now, but it doesn't hurt to try!). If not, I would look into Western Michigan or Central Michigan Universities....they both have really good music ed programs, and I know people who have gone to both places. I don't know much about Grand Valley's program.
This discussion has been closed.