Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Options for non majors

adimi24adimi24 Registered User Posts: 64 Junior Member
edited December 2010 in Music Major
I've been very stressed about not getting into any schools. What have you or others done when you don't get into any schools or just decide not to major in music? Take a gap year, or just take lessons, are there many schools where you can minor in music and have ensembles for non majors, etc
Post edited by adimi24 on

Replies to: Options for non majors

• violindadviolindad Registered User Posts: 933 Member
    Most schools allow (and even encourage) non-majors to participate in ensembles. While some schools do give priority to majors for a few select ensembles, usually there are good opportunities for the non-majors.

Private lessons for non-majors which are covered by your tuition are not as common, but still available at some schools. This is something to check individual schools on.
  • Singersmom07Singersmom07 Registered User Posts: 4,035 Senior Member
    I believe you indicated you are a junior in HS . Now is the time to start planning for application to a variety of schools. Select some that are reach auditions but also have some that are not as competitive. If you are planning music ed then look at the schools in your state that are not on everyone's list. Have an academic and financial backup somewhere where there is music that is relatively open for non-majors. There are a lot out there. Find one where you could do a BA or another major and stay in music as violindad indicated. S1 did not major in music but participated as much as he wanted in jazz ensembles and in music classes at Penn State.

Find some programs that you would be happy in and that do rolling admission. That way you can get an early read and adjust applications accordingly. DD had at least 2 schools where we were comfortable that she would have no problem getting in and would be happy there. They were rolling admission so we knew that one of her backups had accepted her with scholarships before Christmas. The other early acceptance with scholarships came in February after a rolling admission audition. She would have been happy at either and in fact both stayed in the running until the end. She had another early acceptance but had already decided against that one after the audition.

It is not productive to just worry about the worst cases. Plan for potential success at different levels. Work with your teacher to make intelligent selections.
  • BassDadBassDad Registered User Posts: 5,381 Senior Member
    Planning for success is very sound advice, but it also helps to know that not getting in anywhere is not necessarily the end of the world. I suggest you read through at least the first three posts on the thread

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/192395-no-acceptances-one-kids-story-year-later.html?highlight=andison

which is one of my favorites from a few years back.
  • adimi24adimi24 Registered User Posts: 64 Junior Member
    THnaks everyone and Bassdad are there similar storeis to that for people who want to major in music
  • stradmomstradmom Registered User Posts: 4,849 Senior Member
    Well, hopefully you'll get into your dream school with a great scholarship! But, just in case, you do have options.

1. Apply only to top conservatories. If you don't get in, or you don't get the merit aid you want/need, take a gap year and try again. (This worked for a friend who had specific desires and was willing to spend the year focused on her instrument.)

2. Apply to top conservatories, match schools and a couple of safeties with good music departments. Love thy safety. If that's where you end up, you can still study music, and you might even get a great scholarship. (This was D3's approach. She switched to her audition instrument in her senior year and wasn't sure if she'd be competitive in the pool. It gave her sufficient choices that she pondered the decision until the night before the deposit was due.)

3. Apply to a mix of schools for music and schools for regular academics. If you don't get into the music schools, go to one of the other ones and participate as a nonmajor in the orchestra/band. (This worked for a friend who was on the fence about majoring in music or something else. Gave her the time she needed until April to decide which path to follow.)

Being afraid you won't be accepted is perfectly natural. Being realistic about where you stand is also important. Make sure you take sample lessons and gather solid professional opinions that will allow you to more accurately gauge where you might stand in the applicant pool. But try not to lose sight of what made you love music in the first place.
  • BassDadBassDad Registered User Posts: 5,381 Senior Member
    adimi,

I believe that your last post ended in a question directed to me, so I will answer it. If it was meant to be a statement rather than a question, then I agree with you. Andi's son was interested in both music and academic subjects and eventually found the right combination. It does indeed happen with music majors as well. I know of a student who transferred into a conservatory after spending a year as an undeclared major at another college, and another who took a gap year and was admitted the second time around by one of their top choices. These are personal acquaintances, not CC users, so I cannot point you to relevant posts.
  • adimi24adimi24 Registered User Posts: 64 Junior Member
    It seems the same poeple always answer my threads, you're all so helpful, thanks!

Happy holidays!!!!
This discussion has been closed.