Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Will teachers ask me questions after I play at an audition?

2»

Replies to: Will teachers ask me questions after I play at an audition?

• glassharmonicaglassharmonica Registered User Posts: 3,241 Senior Member
    By "cool" I meant distant, not jazz "cool"- haha.
  • 18karat18karat Registered User Posts: 224 Junior Member
    but why only for violin?
  • violindadviolindad Registered User Posts: 933 Member
    There are too many violinists and violin teachers to fit at the lunch table! (Plus the bill just gets too big.) Most schools can fit all their bass faculty and day's bass auditioners at a table. You would need a small banquet hall to fit in the day's violin auditioners and faculty.

It isn't just violinists, but the OP is a violinist, so the context is string auditions. I believe that pianists face a similar "coolness."

Smaller departments/programs/institutions in any discipline or endeavour (e.g. government, business, education, health care) generally are more personable, flexible and informal.

As well, the more selective/competitive an instrument, program, or school is, the more the need to be or at least appear to be objective.
  • thelovelybonesthelovelybones Registered User Posts: 82 Junior Member
    darn, why did i choose to become a violinist?!
  • allegrovivaceallegrovivace Registered User Posts: 156 Junior Member
    I'm a pianist, but I've already had two of my auditions. At both of them, I received a question that threw me off a little bit: "What would you like to know about our school?" It sounds simple enough, but with all the research I've done on my schools, I didn't have a whole lot to ask. I was also worried that if I couldn't come up with any questions, I would appear uninterested in the program. I was able to come up with something off the top of my head, but I definitely panicked for a split second. I think these auditions were more laid back than the rest of mine will be, but I would go in prepared with a question or two for the faculty, just in case.
  • thelovelybonesthelovelybones Registered User Posts: 82 Junior Member
    Thank you allegrovivace!

If you don't mind, which schools have you already auditioned for? and you mean you asked the faculty questions after you played for them during your audition?
  • allegrovivaceallegrovivace Registered User Posts: 156 Junior Member
    I had auditions earlier this month at Boston University and the Crane School of Music at SUNY Potsdam. After I played through my repertoire, the faculty asked me a couple of questions (who do you study with, what are your academics like, etc.) and then asked me what I wanted to know about their program. Like I said, not a huge deal, but definitely threw me off a little bit!
  • rachelee92rachelee92 Registered User Posts: 54 Junior Member
    i feel the same way lol i don't think my technique is that superior :(
2»
This discussion has been closed.