Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

So when did you realize that they are really going

2»

Replies to: So when did you realize that they are really going

• musicohanamusicohana Registered User Posts: 65 Junior Member
    When D had her last lesson with her teacher of five years last week, and asked if she could take lessons at Christmas break. He said no, not unless she gets specific permission from her new teacher, because he doesn't want to interfere. But that she can come back and play duets with him!

Taking all her public library books back over the weekend was the other wake-up call.
  • StacJipStacJip Registered User Posts: 624 Member
    Today is my son's last lesson with his private teacher. It is bittersweet for me. In nice weather I will miss sitting on his porch listening to my son and him play or discuss music. But for my son it is not such a big deal as he will see this teacher as his teacher will be on his campus frequently.

He has his last lesson with his classical teacher this week as well and that will be a bigger deal as he probably won't see him that often.

Lots of transitions. DD just started graduate school this week as well.
  • musicmommusicmom Registered User Posts: 2,503 Senior Member
    I cried all the way home dropping DS off freshman year EIGHT years ago now.
    (I really have to get a life other than CC!)

He's a FT public music teacher who plays multiple instrument whenever he can fit them in and is loving his life.

We're in the small music world just outside NYC and son has remained close with almost ALL his former teachers and mentors in NJ and CT, which I find very cool.

Best to all newly launched music students just starting out. Parents, really it will go fast!
  • ohiobassmomohiobassmom Registered User Posts: 1,401 Senior Member
    I was looking over his conservatory orientation schedule and getting really overwhelmed with all the "stuff". The day after con orientation is freshman (regular student) orientation, so for me there are two days of activities. It's hitting me...just over a week to go.
  • SetumommySetumommy Registered User Posts: 26 New Member
    Haven't had a chance to reflect on the fact that she's leaving. She's been too busy preparing for placement tests and entrance auditions. It's a never ending process! But it will end, and I'll miss it every bit of it.
  • momophonymomophony Registered User Posts: 110 Junior Member
    Ok, that's that, we said goodbye on Wednesday. Thanks Musicmom, great reminder! The last 18 yrs went by so fast, so the next 12 or 14 weeks ought to be extra speedy. By the way, if anyone else's kid is at Jacobs, or might go in the future, you should know that they have, at least right now, a prolific tweeter who announces interesting things about faculty & student accolades, and also events, including yesterday a great photo of all the 199 freshmen waving at the camera. It's also on their FB page. I get their tweets via text, so it’s a random little window on life there during the day. It helps to feel a bit connected - and takes the edge off wanting to call or text with questions or yet more advice... Sitting on my hands ☺
  • violamomnjviolamomnj Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
    Watching as my D packs basically the contents of her room. The car is going to look hilarious tomorrow. Now it's really real.
  • VMTVMT Registered User Posts: 1,155 Senior Member
    We will see you up there violamomnj.
  • jazzpianomom1jazzpianomom1 Registered User Posts: 79 Junior Member
    Just got back from taking our son to CCM. Love the school more every visit! It is fun to be able to poke around the campus while so many families are wandering around during move in days. I guess I realized he is "really going" when he happily tried out piano after piano in the practice building and talked about coming back later to practice.
  • spunk61spunk61 Registered User Posts: 48 Junior Member
    This is a tough thread to read... My daughter is still a Jr. in HS. I've been doing all this research helping her find the right school and I'm excited for her that she wants to go away. But boy it's not going to be easy...........
  • lastbirdlastbird Registered User Posts: 250 Junior Member
    Very very tough. My D is a senior and working on college apps and prescreening. Why oh why are all the schools in the midwest and east?? (Well, not all, but most.)
2»
This discussion has been closed.