Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Music Schools/Conservatories That Offer Med School Requirement Courses

2»

Replies to: Music Schools/Conservatories That Offer Med School Requirement Courses

• ClippyRedClippyRed Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    I'll have to research just how expensive a fifth year is vs post-bacc.
  • SpiritManagerSpiritManager Registered User Posts: 2,782 Senior Member
    It will differ from school to school. And you won't really know until they make you the offers.

For instance, The University of Rochester has a special free tuition program for a fifth year for students who want to take more courses: http://www.rochester.edu/college/CCAS/students/opportunities/takefive/
  • Cornycollins18Cornycollins18 Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
    I'm a graduate of the most selective medical school in the country. I was AOA (honor society/top 5%). I can assure you that while my med school did accept music majors, they had only taken the bare minimum coursework to be accepted to med school. They really struggled to perform against students who had an intensive science oriented major as an UG. I would urge you to pick one or the other, as I believe it would be impossible to be better than "just okay" at those two disciplines simultaneously. Just my 2c
  • StacJipStacJip Registered User Posts: 613 Member
    First with regard to post-bac. It can be hard to get into medical school without doing a post-bac program unless you have gone to a top college, have a 4.0 GPA and excellent MCAT scores. Many post-bac programs now feed into major medical schools so spots at these medical schools are being taken by post-bac students. Just something to consider. Among my daughter's peers I know almost no one who is in medical school who has NOT done a post-bac, even among those who majored in the sciences undergrad. I also would strongly encourage anyone who is thinking of pre-med to think carefully and explore what their interests are with medicine before applying to medical school because medicine is changing and what specific degree you will want to have may depend a lot on your interest. If you want to be a surgeon then absolutely work hard and go to medical school. But if your interest is more towards primary care or research then other paths might be better than getting an MD. For example there is a shift to having the majority of primary care be done by nurse practitioners and/or physician assistants. Also do not rule out the fields of Social work, psychology, medical advocate, health care administration and policy.

I also would encourage you to maybe try not to do everything at once and risk burning out. You are young and you have time. Maybe go to a strong liberal arts school that has a good science program and a good musical theater program. Take a range of classes and find out what you enjoy most. Do a summer internship in a hospital. Work in a lab. Spend time doing community theater. Take more classes. Sort out what you enjoy and what makes you feel happy before trying to spread yourself too thin in an attempt to do it all.

You might spend time in a hospital and decide you hate it. You might find that you love working in a lab and looking into a microscope and doing research. Or you might find that the world of theater is where you feel the most at home.

I know a lot of miserable doctors and ex-doctors. I live next to one. She now has a chocolate company. Medicine is a field that is changing rapidly. Financially the incentives have changed and not all doctors are well off. As one doctor told me years ago when I was thinking of going into medicine myself, "There are many ways to be involved in health care besides being a doctor."
  • MomCaresMomCares Registered User Posts: 3,146 Senior Member
    edited January 2015
    Not sure if this is still helpful, but I know one of D's friends at Northwestern is pre-med and is also completing the MT Certificate program in 4 years, so that may be worth investigating.
2»
This discussion has been closed.