Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

New Training Orchestra - With fellowship starting Fall 2015 in NYC

SpiritManagerSpiritManager Registered User Posts: 2,783 Senior Member
A new training orchestra, tuition free, and with a fellowship for three years is starting in fall of 2015. It will reward an MM to the participants (but it doesn't matter if one has postgraduate degrees already.) It will have curatorial components, as well and a required Capstone project. http://www.longy.edu/academics/graduate-degrees-and-programs/programs/training-orchestra/training-orchestra-degree-program/ It is run by Longy and Bard College.

It looks to me like an exciting option either after undergrad or post grad studies, or in the early stages of a professional career.

Replies to: New Training Orchestra - With fellowship starting Fall 2015 in NYC

• MomofbassistMomofbassist Registered User Posts: 698 Member
    Thanks for the info SpiritManager! What a great opportunity.
  • listenmissylistenmissy Registered User Posts: 202 Junior Member
    Looks pretty neat! I am still trying to understand the relationship between Bard and Longy, other than financial. If Bard's Annandale campus has a conservatory, and Longy /is/ a conservatory, what's the scoop?
  • compmomcompmom Registered User Posts: 9,350 Senior Member
    Spirit Manager, do you have the info on the new educational program offered by the NY Philharmonic, in the same article? I liked the article's point that a school was offering an orchestra and an orchestra was offering school :)
  • SpiritManagerSpiritManager Registered User Posts: 2,783 Senior Member
    @listenmissy - I don't understand the relationship myself between the two institutions. I think it's a work in progress, although there has been some cross-fertilization in terms of performances.
  • listenmissylistenmissy Registered User Posts: 202 Junior Member
    @‌ SpiritManager Ah, interesting. So do they travel back and forth, the NY gang and the MA folks?
    @listenmissy - yes, Longy has performed at Bard, and Bard Conservatory Orchestra at Longy. And the Vocal Arts Program has included works by some of the composers at Longy. There may have been side by sides, as well, for huge orchestral works - can't remember. It's still a very new relationship and I think they're figuring it out.
    Oh, and some conservatory students have gone on to get an MAT for music at Longy.
  • compmomcompmom Registered User Posts: 9,350 Senior Member
    I was referring also to the NY Phiharmonic's new Global Academy, featured along with the Bard/Longy initiative in the NY Times article. The Philharmonic was the orchestra starting a school, to Bard's school starting an orchestra.

Here is an excerpt:

"... the New York Philharmonic announced the next phase of its plans to expand its educational activities.

The orchestra said that it would start the New York Philharmonic Global Academy, an umbrella group to build on the partnerships that it began this year with the Shanghai Orchestra Academy and the Music Academy of the West in Santa Barbara, Calif., with plans to add more partners to the program by the end of the year."
  • hornethornet Registered User Posts: 660 Member
    Thanks for the information. I have forwarded it on to S as something to look at after he completes his MM next year. I noticed that it is modeled on the New World Symphony in Miami. Several graduates of MM or AD programs at S's school have gone to NWS and, from there, into a solid orchestra. If it ends up like NWS, it could be a great opportunity or even better.
  • glassharmonicaglassharmonica Registered User Posts: 3,180 Senior Member
    Very interesting! Will be watching it.
  • ClarimomClarimom Registered User Posts: 818 Member
    Forwarded it to S as well--and will be keeping an eye on it also. First application deadline is Dec 1. I am thinking though that since it is a 3 year M.M. program there may not be any openings again for 3 years, unless someone drops out.
  • glassharmonicaglassharmonica Registered User Posts: 3,180 Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    That's a good point. (Although presumably students will be auditioning for and winning jobs so there is probably going to be some attrition.) Also-- will they just generally fill the class every three years to fill out the orchestra?
    I also wonder how much the fellowship actually is, and what the time commitment is, as well. Lots of questions, for sure.
  • ClarimomClarimom Registered User Posts: 818 Member
    Yes, I wish their website had an 'FAQ' section. I'm surprised I hadn't heard about the program before--the news must have been out and I missed it--but here it is just a month before applications are due and it's the first mention of it I've seen.
This discussion has been closed.