Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Cut last 2 regional auditions?

cellomom6cellomom6 Registered User Posts: 573 Member
We are nearing the end with one last audition this weekend in Chicago. The last 2 after Chicago auditions are regional. One is a financial safety but is only an OK school. And the other one my son used to love, but is no longer enthusiastic about. Sigh. I hate to leave any possible safeties on the table. I'm thinking I could use the money saved from those auditions for revisiting any schools he didn't get a sample lesson at or did the audition on a Saturday and didn't get a good feel for the campus. Any thoughts? And if you want the names of the schools, I will pan you.

Replies to: Cut last 2 regional auditions?

  • cellomom2cellomom2 Registered User Posts: 594 Member
    Have you gotten any acceptances so far that you know he would be happy with and you know you can afford?
    If so I think you could skip those auditions. I would be reluctant to otherwise.
  • cellomom6cellomom6 Registered User Posts: 573 Member
    2 acceptances so far... happy at both. Scholarship funds won't be arriving till mid March or April. Cannot afford one without scholarship and marginally afford the other one without. I can't imagine he'll receive nothing but you never know. Ugh. We're waiting on one whom the teacher and him got along great and has in state tuition.
  • cellomom2cellomom2 Registered User Posts: 594 Member
    Do you think he/ you would pick for him to go to the one you could marginally afford without getting any scholarship over the two safeties with lower cost? If so than he could skip the 2 auditions. He will likely have more options but think about worse case what would you do? Would he rather go to one of the safeties than take a gap year if that were his only choice? Just some things to thinks about. I feel for you, this is not easy. I hope he hears soon about the in state option and financial aid!
  • cellomom6cellomom6 Registered User Posts: 573 Member
    I would rather he have a gap year rather than an OK school. He would really struggle with it. He wants his independence no matter what it seems. His chamber coach is not a fan of his safety school. It's not bad and we know of one cellist that went onto a very good music school after. We have time. We might here from another school in time to cut one.lol.
  • cellomom6cellomom6 Registered User Posts: 573 Member
    It looks like we're cutting for sure 1 regional and maybe the other one. He likes the teacher at the other one. We've rescheduled once. Is it impolite to cancel at this point? He doesn't want to offend anyone and we love the school overall and it has great music faculty but the students do not audition to get in and may not be at high of a level as we'd like. It's only 4 hours away.
  • musicamusicamusicamusica Registered User Posts: 6,468 Senior Member
    edited February 2015
    . They should not take offence--go ahead and thank the faculty for their kind consideration so far and explain that he has received an offer that he is taking.
  • cellomom6cellomom6 Registered User Posts: 573 Member
    I can officially cut the last two auditions, yay! But, traveling is still in our future.
This discussion has been closed.