Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Opinions Matter

Replies to: Opinions Matter

• compmomcompmom Registered User Posts: 9,853 Senior Member
    Boston schools are in good locations. What do your parents dislike about Boston? Distance I can understand, but not sure what could be objectionable otherwise (other than cost that is). Just want to say again that CSUN does not have undergrad conducting as a major.
  • glassharmonicaglassharmonica Registered User Posts: 3,241 Senior Member
    Maybe they saw some of the news reports about the snow this winter!
    Good point!!
  • drummergirldrummergirl Registered User Posts: 281 Junior Member
    My kids have really enjoyed taking classes in Boston and often took the T, went to concerts/museums, and walked around on their own. As others have pointed out, many conservatories (even those in universities, like Eastman or Peabody) are self-contained, in urban settings which just may not be what your folks are picturing. I wonder if these schools might actually be safer than the more 'traditional" campuses!
  • MARIMBAgirlMARIMBAgirl Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    It's the distance and also the Boston bombing that scaries her. Also, I looked into CSUN, and I beleieve they do have a undergrad conducting. I know a few students there who are taking and took conducting there.
  • SpiritManagerSpiritManager Registered User Posts: 2,819 Senior Member
    It sounds like your mom is going to be afraid no matter where you go. That's not rational to be afraid of Boston because of the bombing. There could as easily be an attack in a small town college. And a large earthquake in Northridge. This is just something your mother is going to need to learn to live with. You're growing up and leaving home. And she can't protect you from everything even if she'd like to.
    As for CSU Northridge and conducting - it is a Master's program only, like most music programs. I don't doubt they offer one or two undergrad conducting classes, as do most music programs. http://www.csun.edu/mike-curb-arts-media-communication/music/mm-conducting
    Okay, thank you! Is there anything I could do to help ease my mom of her worries, though?
    Did you look at the website? SpiritManager and I did it for you but you need to be able to look at the websites of schools and get accurate information. I have told you twice there is no undergrad conducting program and posted a bunch of links on CSUN on page 2 of this thread- did you look at them? We are putting time into helping you. I will be frank and say you need to do your part.

I live in Boston. The fear from the bombing is certainly not rational. Is it possible your mother has an anxiety disorder? if so, she might need help as you prepare to go to school, at least if you go away. It would be a shame if misplaced anxieties determine your path.
    Yes, earlier today I did look at the websites. For CSUN they have a masters for conducting, and I need to prepare three pieces one in each era (Barque, Romantic, and Classical). I already know French, just the basics though. so I need to start learning German and Italian. Italian won't be so hard to learn since it is very simliar to Spanish (which I know). To be honest, I wasn't doing my part till this morning. I apologize for that.

My mother does not have an anxiety disorder, so I don't think she needs that can of help.
    Also, I took off Ithaca off of my list. It's a great school, but New York is expansive.
  • SpiritManagerSpiritManager Registered User Posts: 2,819 Senior Member
    @MARIMBAgirl - You do understand you must first get an undergrad degree before you can apply for a Masters, yes?
    You don't need to learn all those languages for undergrad :)
  • cellocompmomcellocompmom Registered User Posts: 230 Junior Member
    Do you mean Ithaca College is expensive or living in New York is expensive because while IC may be an expensive school it is 4 hours from NYC and the cost of living in Ithaca itself it not that bad. Ithaca is very safe, beautiful, academic and cultural for a town of its size.
  • cellocompmomcellocompmom Registered User Posts: 230 Junior Member
    Maybe you did mean expansive, not expensive when talking IC. If so, the Ithaca College campus is very contained and not large.
    NY city is expensive, NY state is not, generally, and Ithaca is in upstate NY. It seems as if you could really use some in-person advice, perhaps with your mother along. Do you have a teacher or counselor who could help you?
This discussion has been closed.