Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Do parents go to the parent orientation?

2»

Replies to: Do parents go to the parent orientation?

• bridgenailbridgenail Registered User Posts: 1,005 Senior Member
    Sorry to write so much I just realized my comments on check-ins could have been confusing. We were at move-in 3 days and assisting her for 3 days. She wanted us there and needed a little extra support. It is what it is with kids. She could also have used a few texts each day in the first month (I thought a few check-ins over a week would be fine). Testing each day may seem excessive to some but she needed that support. Also the world has changed and communication is so much easier. So she was just confused at my silence...wouldn't you be? Haha. I'm not the quiet type.
  • musicamusicamusicamusica Registered User Posts: 6,468 Senior Member
    BTW---In my initial response I confused "parent orientation" with "Parents day". (did not go to either)
  • greatchoirgreatchoir Registered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
    @cellomom6, Jealous! We visited Ithaca this spring and our D liked it, but I was *way* on board! What's not to like there? The restaurants, the galleries, the hiking trails (not to mention the wine and craft beer trails...), the lake. Okay, it was darned cold! But that is one locale I could definitely see making all the parent weekends. Probably means it won't happen...Congrats!
  • momsingsmomsings Registered User Posts: 807 Member
    @greatchoir it is my S going to Ithaca. Sorry I've confused the thread.
  • greatchoirgreatchoir Registered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
    Ah, momsings, I see I didn't read your post carefully enough. So you are the lucky one!
  • BCVIOLINMOMBCVIOLINMOM Registered User Posts: 159 Junior Member
    Prior to the start of my S's freshman year he was at a music camp on the other side of the country and needed me to meet him with the rest of his stuff for school (instead of coming all the way back home and then back east again). He had to attend international orientation which is 2 weeks prior to the start of school so there was no one around in his residence or on campus when he moved in. Was nice for me because he let me hang out in his room and wander the campus with him (which never would have happened otherwise). There was a a parent orientation during this week but I left the day orientation started. He was ready for me to be gone - lol.
  • cellomom6cellomom6 Registered User Posts: 573 Member
    That sounds like it worked out great for you!
  • jb1966jb1966 Registered User Posts: 212 Junior Member
    It's more of a way to figure out what sort aesthetic your teachers/institution is judging things by. I went to all the orientations and learned a great deal from each one.
  • cellomom6cellomom6 Registered User Posts: 573 Member
    That's what I was thinking. Plus it's to the first kid going to college and music school and I love the CCM campus.
  • nycmnycm Registered User Posts: 306 Member
    Attended D's summer orientation for UMich and the parent-orientation organizers were fantastic. Parent activities rarely overlapped with the kids, but it was a good chance to hear lots of the same information about finances, grades, health, etc.; Made some good parent-music friends, and since I was the main transportation system to and from a summer program, just seemed easier to go along!
This discussion has been closed.